Pakistani army dismisses WikiLeaks’ Osama allegationsFebruary 29th, 2012 - 2:07 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 29 (IANS) Pakistani army Tuesday denied whistleblowing website WikiLeaks cable’s allegation, suggesting Pakistan military and the main intelligence officials were aware of Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden’s presence in Abbottabad city.
The US military killed bin Laden May 2, 2011, leaving the Pakistan government embarrassed over his presence in the country, Xinhua reported.
According to a WikiLeaks report, officials of the Pakistan army and spy agency Inter-State Services (ISI) knew about bin Laden’s hideout in Abbottabad.
Pakistani army’s spokesman Major General Athar Abbas denied the allegations about contacts between Pakistani intelligence officials and bin Laden.
Gen. Abbas rejected what he called the so called “leaks”, saying that they were nothing but a pile of a baseless fabrication.
“These charges are not new. These leaks are actually old wine in new bottle”, he said.
On Monday, WikiLeaks published over five million emails from US-based global security analysis firm Stratfor. The messages were reportedly stolen by hacker group Anonymous.
“Mid to senior level ISI and Pak military, with one retired Pak military General, had knowledge of the OBL (Osama bin laden) arrangements and safe house,” Online news agency quoted Fred Burton, Stratfor vice-president for intelligence, as writing in an email.
The email was reportedly written May 13 to one of the company’s regional directors for South Asia soon after the killing of the Al Qaeda chief.
- ISI, Pakistan Army knew about Osama hideout: WikiLeaks - Feb 28, 2012
- Was Osama not buried but body flown to US for cremation? - Mar 07, 2012
- Pakistan to probe Osama raid - May 10, 2011
- ISI now claims it helped US locate Osama - Apr 28, 2012
- Diplomatic Cables reveal US troops' role in Pakistan - May 21, 2011
- Needle of suspicion pointing towards Pak Army, ISI over Osama's support network - May 05, 2011
- Catfight between Osama wives: Third accuses first of betrayal - Mar 15, 2012
- Pakistani military intelligence chief appears before Osama panel - Oct 12, 2011
- Musharraf knew about Osama hideout: Ex-ISI chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Senior Al Qaeda operative held in Pakistan - May 18, 2011
- Pakistan military hid Osama in Abbottabad: Ex-army chief - Dec 24, 2011
- Gordon Brown 'ordered' Zardari to "take Osama bin Laden out": WikiLeaks - Feb 02, 2011
- 'Pakistan was in the dark on Osama raid' - Jul 26, 2011
- Was Osama protected by ISI? - May 05, 2011
- Pak warned Osama before US raids: Wikileaks - May 03, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, athar, feb 29, fred burton, hacker group, intelligence officials, inter state, military general, obl, old wine in new bottle, pakistan army, pakistan government, pakistan military, pakistani army, regional directors, safe house, security analysis, spy agency, stratfor, xinhua