Pakistani apex court suspends Rehman Malik from Senate (Lead)June 4th, 2012 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 4 (IANS) Pakistan’s Supreme Court Monday suspended the Senate membership of Interior Minister Rehman Malik for holding dual nationality, a media report said.
A three-member bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, heard the case of Malik holding dual nationality of Britain and Pakistan, reported Geo News.
Malik said he had forfeited his British citizenship but he failed to provide sufficient documents to the apex court.
The apex court had earlier suspended the National Assembly membership of Pakistan Peoples Party lawmaker Farahnaz Ispahani, and has issued notice to Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Sheikh in a similar case.
A fresh petition submitted Monday named 14 other parliamentarians and members of provincial assemblies who, it claimed, held dual nationalities. The lawmakers have been issued notices by the court.
The court adjourned the hearing till June 13.
- Rehman Malik made advisor to Pakistani PM - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistan court suspends MP over dual citizenship - May 25, 2012
- Rehman Malik resigns as minister, made PM's advisor (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Court suspends Rehman Malik's Senate membership - Jun 04, 2012
- Rehman Malik resigns from Pakistani Senate - Jul 10, 2012
- Gilani supports dual citizenship for MPs - May 28, 2012
- Not aware of chief justice's son's case: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Pakistan Chief Justice urged not to hear son's case - Jun 07, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Rehman Malik takes oath as senator - Jul 28, 2012
- Gilani hurt his own dignity: Sharif - Jun 20, 2012
- Pakistan attorney general turns abusive in Supreme Court - Jun 15, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, british citizenship, chief justice iftikhar, chief justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, dual nationality, geo news, iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, interior minister, ispahani, justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, lawmaker, muhammad, national assembly, pakistan peoples party, parliamentarians, provincial assemblies, rehman malik, senate membership, sheikh