Pakistani, Afghan, US envoys to meet for peace talksApril 25th, 2012 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 25 (IANS) Top Pakistani, Afghan and US diplomats will meet in Islamabad April 26-27 to review the peace process in Afghanistan, the Pakistani foreign ministry said Wednesday.
Marc Grossman, special US representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Afghan Deputy Foreign Minister Jawed Luddin and Pakistani Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani would represent their countries, Xinhua reported citing a ministry statement.
“The sixth meeting of the Core Group of Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United States would review various issues of common interest including the Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace and reconciliation process, economic development, narcotics, return of Afghan refugees and regional connectivity,” the ministry said.
Separate bilateral meetings will also be held with both the countries, it said.
Afghan ambassador in Islamabad, Omar Daudzai, said the meeting will also discuss the “obstacles” in the Afghan peace process.
The trilateral forum was revived last month when diplomats met in Dushanbe, Tajikistan after a seven-month deadlock following the assassination of Afghan peace envoy Burhanuddin Rabbani.
Kabul suspended contact with Islamabad after Rabbani’s assassination, claiming that the murder was planned with the help of Pakistani “elements”, and carried out by a suspected Afghan Taliban bomber from Quetta. Islamabad denied the charges but assured cooperation in a joint probe.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, US hold talks on Afghan peace - Apr 27, 2012
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- US will wait for Pakistan to reassess ties: AfPak envoy - Jan 20, 2012
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- India, US pitch for Afghan-led reconciliation process - Jan 20, 2012
- It was cordial meeting with Karzai: Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- Krishna heading to Istanbul for Afghan conference - Oct 31, 2011
- Afghan peace delegation to arrive in Pakistan on Jan 5 - Jan 03, 2011
- India reminds Afghanistan of Taliban reconciliation 'red lines' - Jul 15, 2011
- Pakistan postpones US envoy Marc Grossman's visit - Jan 19, 2012
- Japan invites Pakistan for conference on Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2012
- Extradite people involved in Rabbani's killing : Afghanistan to Pakistan - Oct 03, 2011
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- Zardari, Karzai review bilateral ties - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: abbas, afghan refugees, bilateral meetings, core group, deadlock, diplomats, foreign minister, foreign ministry, jilani, kabul, marc grossman, ministry statement, narcotics, peace and reconciliation, peace envoy, peace process, peace talks, rabbani, taliban, xinhua