Pakistan welcomes Dhaka decision on ’stranded Biharis’May 20th, 2008 - 12:40 pm ICT by admin
Dhaka, May 20 (IANS) Pakistan has welcomed the Dhaka High Court decision granting citizenship to more than 300,000 Urdu speaking non-Bengalis stranded in the erstwhile east wing in 1971, saying the repatriation spat with Bangladesh was now more or less resolved. However, the sharing of assets between the two who were a single nation till 1971 “is far more complicated and currently under discussion”, Pakistan’s High Commissioner to Dhaka Alamgir Babar said Monday.
A high court bench last Saturday accepted a petition granting citizenship to the non-Bengalis and directing the Election Commission to take them on the voters’ list, The Daily Star newspaper said Tuesday.
Estimated at 426,000 in 1971, the non-Bengalis have lived in 116 camps across the country in ghetto-like conditions.
Dubbbed ‘Biharis’ as a bulk of them from the Indian province during partition in 1947, they called themselves Pakistanis and demanded that they be repatriated.
Many non-Bengalis moved back to India in stealth and some managed to go across India to Pakistan to reunite with their immediate families, as per various studies and media reports.
There is no precise figure of this illegal movement.
- Stranded Biharis become Bangladesh citizens after 36 years - May 19, 2008
- Urdu-speaking Bangladeshis yet to get passports - Jan 26, 2009
- Urdu back in Bangladesh's political scene - Jan 19, 2009
- 'Stranded Pakistanis' to get voting rights in Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2008
- Some aged non-Bengali Bangladeshis want to go to Pakistan - Aug 24, 2008
- Not all 'Biharis' in Bangladesh were pro-Pakistan: Film - Mar 22, 2009
- Bangladesh fails to register its Urdu-speaking citizens as voters - Aug 16, 2008
- Hasina seeks support for war crimes trial - Feb 19, 2012
- Bangladesh parties wooing non-Bengali voters - Dec 26, 2008
- Zardari writes to Manmohan for Chisty's repatriation (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Pakistan-born author tells Punjab partition story - Oct 09, 2011
- 1971 atrocities: Pakistan rejects Dhaka's apology demand - May 16, 2009
- All 77 integrated check posts computerized: Chidambaram - Nov 30, 2010
- Bangladesh war hero who served three armies dead - May 07, 2011
- Dhaka court rejects plea on `war criminals' in Pakistan - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: babar, bangladesh, bengalis, citizenship, court bench, court decision, daily star, election commission, ghetto, high commissioner, illegal movement, indian province, last saturday, pakistanis, partition, petition, precise figure, repatriation, stealth, voters list