Pakistan-US ties: Sherry Rehman meets ClintonJanuary 12th, 2012 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 12 (IANS) Pakistan’s new ambassador to America Sherry Rehman has discussed Islamabad’s troubled ties with Washington at a meeting with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
The hour-long meeting was held Wednesday at US state department.
Both sides hoped that bilateral ties would see better days Geo News reported.
The last year saw a significant deterioration in US-Pakistan ties. In February, Raymond Davis, an undercover CIA agent, was arrested in Lahore for shooting two Pakistani nationals. Thereafter, Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed May 2 by US commandos who swooped on his Abbottabad hideout without informing the Pakistani military.
A secret memo to Washington said that President Asif Ali Zardari had feared a military coup, leading to Husain Haqqani stepping down as Pakistan’s envoy in Washington. Former minister Sherry Rehman was then appointed the new envoy to the US.
Even before the dust could settle down on all these controversies, a major NATO attack on two Pakistani checkposts worsened the ties. As many as 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed and 15 injured when NATO helicopters from Afghanistan attacked border checkposts Nov 26 in Mohmand agency in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA).
- Zardari, US envoy discuss ties - Nov 30, 2011
- Pakistan sends notice to US to vacate airbase - Nov 30, 2011
- Attack on Pakistani soldiers smacks of US arrogance: Daily - Nov 29, 2011
- Strengthen Pakistan-US trade ties: Zardari to Sherry - Nov 25, 2011
- No threat of military coup: Gilani - Dec 02, 2011
- Memo scandal: Court dismisses plea against Mansoor Ijaz - Jan 18, 2012
- Probe into memo will be made public: minister - Nov 24, 2011
- Sherry Rehman appointed Pakistan's envoy to US - Nov 23, 2011
- Haqqani flies out of Pakistan - Jan 31, 2012
- Court allows Haqqani to travel abroad - Jan 30, 2012
- Pakistan has 10 women ambassadors - Dec 22, 2011
- Pakistani envoys to US and UN in a fix - Jun 22, 2012
- Ties with US not normal: Sherry Rehman - Jan 28, 2012
- No control over army and ISI, admits Pakistan government - Dec 22, 2011
- No repetition of attack on Pakistani soldiers: US - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: better days, bilateral ties, cia agent, geo news, hideout, hillary clinton, islamabad, military coup, nato attack, new ambassador, pakistani nationals, pakistani soldiers, qaeda leader, raymond davis, secret memo, sherry rehman, tribal areas, us secretary of state, us state department, zardari