Pakistan to write to Pope, Interpol for action on Florida Quran desecrationMarch 29th, 2011 - 4:16 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar 29(ANI): Pakistan will write to Pope Benedict XVI and the Interpol for taking appropriate action against controversial US pastor Terry Jones, who oversaw the burning of a copy of the Quran at his small Florida church last Sunday after the revered Islamic book was put on trial.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik informed the Senate that he was addressing letters to the Pope and Interpol Secretary-General Ronald Noble on the directive of President Asif Ali Zardari, who had himself called for UN action over the incident in his address to a joint sitting of parliament on March 22.
The letter to the Interpol chief would demand that the international police treat the matter as a case of “criminal violence” and take measures to guard against any future desecration or blasphemy, the Dawn quoted Malik, as saying.
The Senate strongly condemned the incident in a resolution and called upon the United States to take legal action against Jones, who last year cancelled a plan to burn copies of the Koran to mark the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States after international condemnation, but indulged in a similar act this month.
The Senate also urged all Muslim countries to convey their outrage to the United States, and asked the United Nations to take notice of what it called a “heinous act”. (ANI)
- Iran thanks Pope for condemning Quran burning plan - Oct 08, 2010
- Pakistan takes up Florida Quran desecration with UN - Mar 23, 2011
- Pak to record protest at all international forums against Florida Quran desecration - Mar 24, 2011
- US pastor who burned Koran says violent attack in Afghanistan 'proves his point' about Islam - Apr 02, 2011
- U.S. government, Interpol warn of violent anti-U.S. demonstrations around the world - Sep 10, 2010
- Interpol issues global terror alert if the Dove World Outreach Church burns Qurans on 9/11 anniversary - Sep 09, 2010
- Iranian clerics call for slaying of Quran burners - Sep 14, 2010
- Iran slams US over Quran desecration - Sep 13, 2010
- Moscow condemns attack on UN office in Afghanistan - Apr 02, 2011
- Pakistan condemns Quran burning in US - May 03, 2012
- Man arrested in England for allegedly burning Koran - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistani Islamists criticise Pope's anti-blasphemy law comments - Jan 12, 2011
- Hafiz Saeed publicly slams Pope, defends blasphemy law - Jan 30, 2011
- Iran says Israel behind Quran burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- Interpol: Global Alert High Terror Threat If Dove World Outreach Center Burns Quran! - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: addressing letters, asif ali zardari, benedict xvi, blasphemy, criminal violence, florida church, heinous act, interior minister, international condemnation, international police, interpol, islamic book, last sunday, muslim countries, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, quran desecration, rehman malik, september 11 2001, terry jones