Pakistan to seek $1 bn from NATOMay 20th, 2012 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 20 (IANS) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari would demand $1 billion from the NATO as compensation for the war on terror and its dire consequences on the country’s economy, a top official said.
Presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said Zardari would put forward the demand at the NATO summit in Chacago, Geo News reported.
The payment through NATO’s Coalition Support Fund was Pakistan’s right, he said.
“We are with the international community in the fight against this menace (terrorism) but it cannot be won by military means only. Poverty and unemployment are two big reasons of extremism,” Babar said.
Babar said it was imperative to win the hearts of the people in order to establish peace in the country.
US President Barack Obama is hosting a two-day NATO summit in Chicago that will focus on plans to hand over security to Afghan forces and withdrawal of foreign troops by 2014.
Zardari is being accompanied by Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbass Jilani.
- Zardari arrives in Chicago for NATO summit - May 20, 2012
- Zardari arrives in Chicago for NATO summit (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Zardari-NATO chief meet postponed due to plane delay - May 20, 2012
- Zardari to attend NATO summit in Chicago - May 18, 2012
- Bansal to be minister-in-waiting for Zardari - Apr 07, 2012
- Zardari leaves for US to attend NATO summit - May 18, 2012
- Krishna-Khar talks: Terror, 26/11 India's 'core concerns' (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Terrorism, trade, visas to top India-Pakistan talks (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Terrorism to dominate Krishna, Khar talks - Sep 06, 2012
- India, Pakistan top diplomats to meet June 29, visa accord soon (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- India, Pakistan acknowledge 'more needs to be done' - Sep 07, 2012
- Manmohan Singh meets Zardari - Aug 30, 2012
- No secret deal with US on NATO route reopening: Khar - Jul 05, 2012
- Krishna to visit Pakistan Sep 7-9, Jundal shadow over talks - Jul 24, 2012
- Hina Rabbani Khar to be Pakistan's foreign minister - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, asif ali zardari, babar, barack obama, bn, coalition support, consequences, foreign minister, geo news, hearts, islamabad, jilani, nato, nato summit, pakistan, peace in the country, poverty, presidential spokesman, unemployment, war on terror