Pakistan to move international court against Kashmir hydro projectApril 17th, 2009 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 17 (IANS) Pakistan is to move the International Court of Arbitration against India’s diversion of the Jhelum river to the Wullar Barrage and what it terms the faulty design of the Kishanganga hydropower project in Jammu and Kashmir.
“I served notice on the Indian commissioner in March after exhausting all endeavours mentioned in the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty to resolve the issue,” The News Friday quoted an official as saying.
Jamaat Ali Shah, the Pakistan Indus Waters Commissioner, was speaking at a closed door meeting earlier this week chaired by Water and Power Minister Pervez Ashraf.
Shah told the meeting that talks between Pakistan and India have failed after exhausting all endeavours at the Permanent Commission of Indus Waters (PCIW) level.
Former water and power secretary Ashfaq Mehmud, and top officials of the water and power ministry, the foreign office, the law division, the General Headquarters (GHQ) and the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) attended the meeting.
Pakistan has opposed the construction of the hydropower project, saying the diversion of river water to the Wullar Barrage contravenes the provisions of the Indus Waters Treaty. India says it does not.
- Pakistan to move World Bank against Kashmir hydro project - Apr 30, 2009
- Pak calls India's Kishanganga Dam clear violation of Indus Waters treaty - Nov 12, 2010
- India, Pakistan commissioners on Indus water meet in Delhi - May 31, 2010
- Pak moves International Court of Arbitration to resolve Kishanganga dispute with India - Oct 09, 2010
- Pak serves legal notice to India over Kishanganga dam construction issue - May 20, 2010
- Pak asks India to allow it to inspect all ongoing river projects in Kashmir - Feb 10, 2010
- Pakistan to move International Court of Arbitration on Kishanganga project - May 03, 2010
- Islamabad wants neutral experts in row with India over hydel project - Nov 13, 2009
- Pak invites India for talks on Kishanganga project issue on July 13 - Jul 10, 2010
- Pak to approach World Bank to resolve Kishanganga Dam dispute with India - Apr 26, 2010
- India begins providing river outflow data to Pak - Jul 01, 2009
- Pak to propose two forums to resolve Kishanganga Dam dispute with India - Nov 13, 2009
- Pak pushing WB to appoint neutral expert over Kishanganga dam dispute with India - Nov 08, 2009
- Pak raises lands drying up issue due to Indian conspiracy with Holbrooke - Aug 21, 2009
- Pak accuses India of reducing its agro-based economy to tatters - Aug 19, 2009
Tags: barrage, endeavours, faulty design, foreign office, general headquarters, ghq, hydro project, hydropower project, indian commissioner, inter services, international court of arbitration, jamaat ali shah, jammu, jhelum river, permanent commission, power minister, power ministry, power secretary, river water, water and power