Pakistan to host hockey tournament in memory of BenazirJuly 3rd, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
By K. Hussain
Karachi, July 3 (IANS) Pakistan’s hockey chief Thursday promised to host an international tournament next summer in the memory of former premier Benazir Bhutto, who was assassinated last year. Asif Bajwa, the new secretary general of the Pakistan Hockey federation (PHF) told a press conference here that he will soon start making arrangements for a six-nation Benazir Bhutto Hockey Tournament, involving some of the top teams of the world.
He gave that assurance to Sports Minister Najmuddin Khan, who belongs to the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) - that was headed by the late Benazir.
“We will host a major six-nation tournament in the mid of 2009 as a tribute for Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto,” said Bajwa, a former Pakistan player and national coach.
Pakistan have not hosted any major international hockey competition since the 2004 Champions Trophy in Lahore as most of the major teams including Olympic champions Australia have refused to come here citing security reasons.
A PHF effort to host an Olympic warm-up tournament in July fell apart because of lack of interest shown by foreign teams.
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pakistan not to hold four-nation hockey tournament - Nov 27, 2009
- Bajwa hopeful of Pakistan's good showing in Champions Trophy - Nov 17, 2011
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistan hockey invests in technology to improve players' fitness - Jul 06, 2011
- Pakistan hockey eyeing a podium finish in London Olympics - Jan 25, 2011
- Beleaguered Pak hockey team will "bounce back strongly": PHF Secretary - Nov 16, 2010
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- PHF patron Malik to work for Indo-Pak hockey series resumption - Apr 20, 2011
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- 'PHF negating 2012 Olympics vision by selecting senior players for Azlan Shah Cup' - Apr 30, 2011
- Pak hockey players get show-cause notice over WSH contracts - Apr 25, 2011
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- Pakistani daily rues country's Olympic woes - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: asif, benazir bhutto, champions trophy, hockey chief, hockey competition, hockey federation, hockey tournament, hussain, international hockey, karachi, lack of interest, lahore, nation tournament, national coach, olympic champions, pakistan peoples party, phf, secretary general, security reasons, six nation