Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to IndonesiaAugust 10th, 2011 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 10 (IANS) Pakistan will hand back to Indonesia the alleged mastermind of the deadly bombing in Bali island that killed at least 202 people in 2002, a media report said.
Umar Patek, 41, was the alleged field coordinator and planner of the suicide bombings in two nightclubs in Bali. Most of the dead were Australian holiday makers.
Patek was arrested in January 2011 in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city.
There was, however, no official confirmation about the extradition of Patek, Xinhua reported.
Indonesia had reportedly sought his extradition to uncover his network in the country.
Patek - alias Abu Syeikh or Umar Arab - escaped from Indonesia in 2003. The US had put a bounty of $1 million on his head.
He was captured in Pakistan almost a decade after his escape. Since his arrest, Indonesian police have reportedly been negotiating with Pakistan for bringing back the militant.
Patek is a suspected member of Al Qaeda-linked outfit Jemaah Islamiyah, which was also accused of carrying out a series of terror strikes in Indonesia that killed over 250 people from 2000 to 2009.
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years - Jun 21, 2012
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- ISI claims credit for arrest of 2002 Bali bombings suspect in Pakistan - Mar 31, 2011
- Aussie travel warning for Indonesia following arrest of Bali bombing suspect in Pak - Apr 01, 2011
- Did Bali bomber Patek's arrest help US reach Osama? - May 05, 2011
- Al Qaeda-linked terrorist held in Malaysia - Jun 11, 2011
- Two French terror suspects held in Lahore - Apr 15, 2011
- US Govt. critics slam delayed interrogation of Bali nightclub bombing suspect - Apr 13, 2011
- Indonesian hardline Muslim cleric arrested - Aug 09, 2010
- International terrorist - Bali bomber - Noordin Top arrested - Aug 07, 2009
- 2002 Bali bombing suspect arrested - Jun 14, 2011
- US warns of attack in Indonesia's Bali - Dec 31, 2009
- Indonesian TV cameraman arrested in Good Friday bomb plot - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, al qaeda, alias, australian holiday, bali bombing suspect, bali island, bombing in bali, confirmation, extradition, field coordinator, holiday makers, indonesia, indonesian police, islamabad, mastermind, nightclubs, pakistan, suicide bombings, terror strikes, xinhua