Pakistan Supreme Court adjourns Sarabjit’s mercy pleaJune 22nd, 2009 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 22 (IANS) The Pakistan Supreme Court Monday adjourned till Wednesday the hearing of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh’s plea against the death penalty handed to him for his alleged involvement in bomb blasts in this country.
A bench of judges Fayyaz Ahmed, Qaim Jan Khan and Zawwar Hussain Jaffery that was to hear the plea also issued notice to Singh’s lawyer after he failed to appear in court Monday.
On March 9, 2006, a two-member Supreme Court bench had dismissed Singh’s petition against the sentence for his alleged involvement in carrying out four bomb blasts at Lahore in 1990 that killed 14 people.
Singh, a resident of Amritsar, has been on death row for the past 18 years ever since his conviction in 1991. His family contests the sentence, saying Singh had strayed into Pakistan in drunken state and had nothing to do with the blasts.
Singh was to have been hanged April 1, 2008 but the authorities put this off after newly-installed Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani sought to examine the issue.
Should the Supreme Court turn down his plea, Singh will have the option of making a mercy plea to President Asif Ali Zardari.
- Pakistan Supreme Court dismisses Sarabjit's mercy plea - Jun 24, 2009
- A ray of hope for the Sarabjit Singh from Pakistan's apex court (Lead) - Jun 21, 2009
- Will seek Sarabjit's pardon: Pakistani lawyer - Jun 27, 2009
- Pakistani Supreme Court rejects Sarabjit's plea, India urges 'sympathetic' view (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2009
- Pakistan Supreme Court dismisses Indian prisoner Sarabjit's mercy plea (Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of mercy pleas decided in 2011 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Apex court calls for files of 18 mercy pleas (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- No political influence in commutation of death: Apex Court - Sep 28, 2011
- New Delhi urges Islamabad to show sympathy to Sarabjeet Singh - Jun 25, 2009
- SC slams Punjab government for 'drama' in Rajoana case - Mar 29, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Pakistan SC rejects Sarabjit Singh's mercy plea - Jun 24, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Rajiv killers' plea Oct 19 - Oct 11, 2011
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: amritsar, april 1, asif ali zardari, bomb blasts, conviction, death penalty, death row, drunken state, family contests, gilani, hussain, jaffery, lahore, pakistan supreme court, petition, plea, qaim, raza, supreme court bench, yousuf