Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikesAugust 23rd, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 23 (IANS) Pakistan Thursday summoned a senior American diplomat and conveyed its protest over the recent drone strikes in the country’s North Waziristan tribal region, the Pakistani foreign ministry said.
A series of US drone attacks bombed North Waziristan over the past few days in three separate attacks, killing at least 14 people.
The attacks came as Pakistanis were celebrating the festival of Eid-ul-Fitr.
“A senior US diplomat was called to the Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs and was informed that the drone strikes were unlawful, against international law and a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty,” the foreign ministry said, reported Xinhua.
The US has ignored Pakistan’s calls for a halt to drone strikes, which Islamabad says are counterproductive in the war on terror and spark anti-American sentiments.
But Washington insists that the attacks are the key to eliminate Al Qaeda remnants and Taliban.
The CIA says that militants are using North Waziristan as the launching pad for cross-border attacks on foreign and Afghan forces in Afghanistan.
Americans are urging Pakistan to launch a major operation against the militants in North Waziristan but Islamabad has so far been unwilling to go after the militants there.
Section of Pakistani media recently reported that the military may launch a targeted offensive in the region shortly.
- 17 killed in Pakistan drone strikes - Aug 24, 2012
- Pakistan summons US envoy over drone strikes - Jun 05, 2012
- US resumes drone attacks in Pakistan - Jan 12, 2012
- US drones kill seven in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Sit-in against Pakistan drone strikes - Feb 26, 2012
- Pakistan urging 'friends' to pressurise US to end drone attacks: Gilani - Apr 14, 2011
- Review drone policy, Pakistan tells US - Apr 23, 2011
- US drone kills four in Pakistan - May 26, 2012
- 16 die in US drone strike in Pakistan - Aug 10, 2011
- US drone strike kills 4 in northwest Pakistan - Sep 01, 2012
- US drone attack kills 11 militants in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- 19 killed in drone strike in Pakistan - Jun 08, 2011
- US drone attack kills eight militants in Pakistan - Sep 14, 2010
- Four die in US drone attack in Pakistan - Feb 09, 2012
- Six killed in US drone attack in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, american diplomat, drone, eid, eid ul fitr, few days, foreign ministry, launching pad, ministry of foreign affairs, north waziristan, pakistanis, remnants, sentiments, separate attacks, sovereignty, strikes, summons, taliban, war on terror, xinhua