Pakistan seeks more on Mumbai attacks, India terms it stonewallingApril 13th, 2009 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad/New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) Pakistan Monday sought more details on the 26/11 Mumbai carnage, saying it had received “identical” DNA reports on two of the 10 attackers but New Delhi immediately accused Islamabad of stonewalling.
“We have received two identical DNA reports. One of these relate to a man named Ismail, who we are told was killed during the attacks. This report also relates to (Ajmal Amir) Kasab (the lone gunman captured alive during the mayhem),” Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik told reporters in Islamabad.
“Were they (Ismail and Kasab) related,” Malik asked, adding: “We have sought more information (from India).”
India quickly dismissed the demand.
“The information we have provided is adequate for them (Pakistan) to take tangible action,” Indian Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma told the CNN-IBN TV news channel in New Delhi.
“It (action by Pakistan) hasn’t come so far,” Sharma added.
Pakistan’s latest demand comes two days after it sought details on India’s perceived terrorist threat to its general elections, the first phase of which kicks off Thursday.
“Taking a very serious view of this accusation, the acting high commissioner of India was called in today by director general (South Asia) to convey that the government of India share with the government of Pakistan any specific information available with it which had prompted such an allegation by them,” a statement issued late Saturday night by the foreign affairs ministry said.
“The Indian prime minister during his public interaction has expressed the apprehension about a possible terrorist attack in India during the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections from the Pakistan territory,” the statement said, adding: “It has been Pakistan’s consistent position that countering terrorism requires pragmatic cooperation.”
Manmohan Singh’s remarks had come during his media interaction with women journalists in New Delhi Friday.
India had in January submitted a detailed dossier on the involvements of Pakistani nationals in the Nov 26-29, 2008 Mumbai attacks that claimed the lives of more than 170 people, including 26 foreigners.
In February, Pakistan posed a set of 30 questions to which India replied to in March.
Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has also registered cases against eight men for their alleged involvement in the Mumbai strikes.
Six of the suspects have been arrested, while the seventh is at large. The eighth is Kasab, who is currently in the custody of the Mumbai police and whose trial is to begin later this month.
Tags: cnn ibn, countering terrorism, foreign affairs ministry, government of pakistan, high commissioner of india, india india, india share, indian minister, indian prime minister, late saturday night, lok sabha elections, lone gunman, manmohan singh, media interaction, pakistan territory, public interaction, rehman malik, tangible action, terrorist attack in india, women journalists