Pakistan SC rejects Sarabjit Singh’s mercy pleaJune 24th, 2009 - 12:51 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, June 24 (ANI): Pakistan Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh’s review petition challenging his death sentence in his alleged involvement in the Lahore bomb attacks in 1990.
A three-member bench led by Justice Raja Fayyaz Ahmed dismissed Sarabjit’s review petition on the grounds of non-pursuance of the case by his lawyer.
Sarabjit’s counsel had failed to appear in court for the past few hearings, including the last one on Monday.
Rana Abdul Hamid, the lawyer who was representing Sarabjit, had been unable to appear in court after he was last year appointed an additional advocate general by Punjab province.
Sarabjit Singh is a resident of Amritsar in Punjab. He was arrested near the Kasur border in Pakistan in August 1990. As per his family, he had actually strayed into Pakistan’s territory in an inebriated state.
He was awarded death sentence by a Lahore anti-terrorism court in October 1991 for carrying out serial bomb blasts in Pakistan.
Sarabjit challenged the verdict in the Supreme Court, however, the apex court quashed his appeal in September 2005, saying that the review petition was not filed within the time period as mentioned in the law. (ANI)
- New Delhi urges Islamabad to show sympathy to Sarabjeet Singh - Jun 25, 2009
- Sarabjit Singh's death sentence 'stayed' by Musharraf govt, says Zardari's office - Aug 09, 2010
- A ray of hope for the Sarabjit Singh from Pakistan's apex court (Lead) - Jun 21, 2009
- Sarabjit Singh's review petition quashed following failure of lawyer to attend - Jun 24, 2009
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pak death row inmate Sarabjit Singh's mercy plea forwarded to Zardari - Jul 09, 2009
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Pak death row inmate Sarabjit Singh files fresh application in Supreme Court - Jul 22, 2009
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: abdul hamid, advocate, ahmed, amritsar, apex, apex court, bench, bomb attacks, bomb blasts, death sentence, fayyaz, june 24, lawyer, pakistan supreme court, petition, plea, raja, rana, sarabjit singh, time period