Pakistan salutes its own Mohammad RafiOctober 5th, 2011 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 5 (IANS) Pakistanis paid rich tributes on the 16th death anniversary of legendary playback singer Masood Rana, who was widely known as “Pakistani Rafi”.
The event was observed Tuesday, The Dawn reported Wednesday.
Rana was born into a Rajput landowner family which migrated from Jalandhar in India.
He began his singing career in 1955 on Radio Pakistan and formed a musical group in Karachi in the early 60s with two famous names of showbiz - Nadeem Baig and Akhlaq Ahmed.
Rana made his debut as a playback singer in 1962 when he sang for the film “Inqalab”. He became one of the top male singers in Urdu and Punjabi films for more than three decades, the Dawn reported.
He got a major break when renowned actor Saqi introduced him to producer and director Iqbal Shehzad and musician Deebo.
He was popularly seen as Pakistan’s answer to India’s Mohammad Rafi.
A specialist in singing difficult songs on a very high pitch, he was the first choice of music directors for title and theme songs.
Rana is still the only male singer in Pakistani films to have sung more than 300 songs in Urdu and Punjabi. He recorded music for over 550 films.
Rana died Oct 4, 1995.
- Sonu hopes for 'my' time in coming year (July 30 is Sonu Nigam's birthday) - Jul 29, 2011
- Tarlochan Singh, an unknown achiever in Hindi playback singing - Feb 06, 2010
- Short film on Rafi screened on his 85th birth anniversary - Dec 24, 2009
- From two rented rooms, he runs museum for Rafi (Feature) - Sep 26, 2011
- Telecom executive steals Mohammed Rafi tribute show - Aug 01, 2011
- Gulam Nabi Azad to attend Rafi tribute - Jul 30, 2011
- Asha Bhosle unveils album, celebrates 77th birthday in Mumbai - Sep 08, 2010
- For Harshdeep, lyrics are backbone of a song (With Image) - May 15, 2012
- Six brand new songs of Rafi released - Jan 28, 2010
- Big B feels singers play vital role in actors' lives - Jul 31, 2012
- Singer Chitra set to celebrate three decades in music industry - Jan 28, 2011
- Versatility must for singer, feels Javed Ali (With Images) - Aug 17, 2012
- New album about thirst for love: Sarosh Sami - Jan 23, 2011
- I'm tired of singing film songs: Asha Bhosle (Interview) - Nov 05, 2010
- Cinema, theatre can promote Urdu: Ali - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: akhlaq, choice of music, death anniversary, famous names, high pitch, jalandhar, major break, male singer, male singers, masood rana, mohammad rafi, more than three decades, music directors, musical group, pakistani films, playback singer, radio pakistan, renowned actor, rich tributes, theme songs