Pakistan releases 35 Indians on I-Day (Lead)August 15th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Attari Border (Punjab), Aug 15 (IANS) Pakistan Friday released 35 Indian nationals, including 34 fishermen, as a goodwill gesture on the occasion of the independence days of the two countries. India celebrated its Independence Day Friday, a day after Pakistan marked its own independence from British rule.
Shouting pro-India slogans, the fishermen said they were happy to be back in their country after spending jail terms, ranging from a few months to three years, in Pakistan.
The fishermen, who belong to the coastal areas of Daman and Gujarat, were mostly lodged in Karachi in Pakistan.
Bhola, a youth from a village in Jammu area, was also released along with the fishermen. Officials here said Bhola was mentally challenged and his family was being contacted to send him home.
The fishermen stepped into Indian territory after completing cumbersome immigration formalities on both sides of the border.
“We are all so happy to be back. That this is happening on the country’s Independence Day is another great thing for us. We went through tough times,” fisherman Dalip Kumar told reporters here.
Border Security Force (BSF) officials here said the fishermen would be handed over to Amritsar district authorities to be taken back to their homes in Gujarat.
- Pakistan frees 55 Indian fishermen - Aug 15, 2012
- India frees 14 Pakistani prisoners (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistan releases 18 Indian fishermen - May 23, 2012
- India releases 14 Pakistani prisoners - Jun 28, 2011
- India repatriates 91 Pakistanis - Jul 26, 2011
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Indian, Pakistan border guards exchange greetings - Aug 15, 2012
- 89 Indian prisoners released from Pakistan reach home - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistan frees 100 Indian fishermen - Dec 27, 2009
- India frees 28 Pakistani prisoners as goodwill gesture - Aug 18, 2010
- Sweets and greetings exchanged at Attari border - Aug 15, 2011
- Chidambaram's goodwill gesture, four Pak prisoners set free - Jun 25, 2010
- BSF gives Pakistan Rangers sweets at Punjab border (Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: bhola, border security force, coastal areas, daman, district authorities, fisherman, fishermen, goodwill gesture, gujarat, immigration formalities, independence day, independence days, indian nationals, indian territory, indians, jail terms, karachi, pakistan, slogans, tough times