Pakistan rejects Indian concern over welfare of Sikh minoritiesMay 2nd, 2009 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 2 (DPA) Pakistan Saturday rejected Indian concerns about the plight of Sikh families living in militancy-hit tribal areas and said it was taking care of all citizens, including the minorities.
India issued a verbal demarche to Pakistan Friday after reports that Taliban militants had demolished 11 homes of Sikhs living in Orakzai agency, which is one of seven districts of troubled tribal areas in northwestern Pakistan.
“India was told that Sikhs living in Orakzai agency were Pakistani citizens and hence of no concern to India,” Pakistan’s foreign ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said.
“Pakistan was fully cognizant of the situation and looked after the welfare of all its citizens particularly the minority community,” the statement added.
Media reports said Taliban militants, who have gained control over large areas in tribal belt and neighbouring North West Frontier Province, renewed a medieval practice of imposing Islamic tax or “jiziya” on non-Muslim inhabiting a Muslim state in return for full protection.
Taliban with their particular interpretation of Islam favour a number of harsh practices of early Islam including public flogging, stoning and jiziya.
Majority of the Pakistani public takes a moderate view and support Pakistan’s modern legal system of taxes and punishments.
A few hundred Sikh families have been living in northwest Pakistan for decades, including more than 35 Sikh families in Ferozkhel area of Orakzai, which has safe-havens of Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters.
- Sikhs in Pakistan seek compensation for terror losses - Feb 07, 2011
- Sikhs in Pakistan pick up pieces of their shattered lives - Nov 01, 2010
- Taliban militants demolish 11 Sikh minority community homes in Pak - Apr 30, 2009
- Pakistan rejects India's concern for Sikh minorities (Lead) - May 02, 2009
- 13 die in drone strike in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Sikh community concedes to Taliban demand in FATA , pay Rs 20 million as Jiziya - Apr 16, 2009
- US Sikhs ask Obama to intervene on beheading - Feb 24, 2010
- Pak Taliban imposes Jiziya on Sikhs; takes their leader hostage - Apr 15, 2009
- SGPC, Punjab government condemn Sikh beheading in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- India takes up Taliban targeting Sikhs with Pakistan - May 01, 2009
- American Sikhs approach US to ensure Pak-Sikhs' safety - Mar 03, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2010
- Beheaded body of a Sikh found in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Beheaded body of a Sikh found in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- Pakistani military plans third front against Taliban - Jan 12, 2010
Tags: abdul basit, demarche, foreign ministry spokesman, frontier province, india pakistan, medieval practice, minority community, moderate view, muslim state, north west frontier, northwestern pakistan, pakistan india, pakistani citizens, punishments, safe havens, sikh families, sikhs, support pakistan, tribal areas, tribal belt