Pakistan quake toll rises to 300October 31st, 2008 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 31 (Xinhua) The toll in Wednesday’s devastating earthquake in Pakistan’s southwestern province of Balochistan rose to 300 Friday, officials said.Around 40,000 people were displaced and 200 villages affected in the 6.2 magnitude quake early Wednesday, the state-run PTV reported.
The Dawn newspaper Friday said that thousands of quake-affected people are still spending nights in freezing cold without proper shelter and food.
The provincial administration has sent tents, blankets and other relief items to the affected areas, but the goods are yet to reach to a majority of the affected people because of poor road conditions.
The aftershocks have made it difficult to undertake relief operations, officials said. Over 250 aftershocks have been recorded since Wednesday’s quake, the Daily Times newspaper quoted a weather official as saying. He said the aftershocks are likely to continue next week.
Chairman of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Farooq Ahmed Khan, said at least 2,000 houses were destroyed in the quake.
NDMA said 2,000 tents, 5,000 blankets and other supplies have been dispatched to Balochistan, but due to poor road conditions their delivery is getting delayed.
- Quake damaged 200 houses in Pakistan town - Jan 20, 2011
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- UNICEF seeks $50mn for flood-hit Pakistani kids - Oct 13, 2011
- China delivers drinking water to Japan - Mar 18, 2011
- Mamata to seek Rs.500 crore more for quake-hit Darjeeling - Oct 11, 2011
- Quake-hit Pakistani town still lives in fear - Nov 02, 2010
- Quake rocks Pakistan, at least 160 killed (Fourth lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- Roof collapse in northern Pakistan kills 5, injures 3 - Sep 05, 2012
- Pakistan floods: Toll rises to 412 - Sep 25, 2011
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Pakistani man to donate money quake-hit families - Jan 23, 2011
- Turkish teenager rescued after four days - Oct 28, 2011
- Pak govt to start distributing tents to the quake-hit in Balochistan from today - Nov 07, 2008