Pakistan PM Gilani in India for World Cup semifinal (Lead)March 30th, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 30 (IANS) Hoping to better ties between the two countries, Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani arrived here Wednesday to watch the high-voltage World Cup cricket semifinal between India and Pakistan in nearby Mohali.
The Pakistan Air Force flight carrying Gilani and his delegation landed at the Chandigarh airport around 12.25 pm. Gilani, who is here at the invitation of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, was received by union Minister of State for Communications Sachin Pilot.
The match will be played at the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) Stadium in Mohali, 10 km from here.
Camera crews jostled for attention as Gilani, casually dressed in a blue coat, light green shirt and grey trousers, walked into the arrival lounge of the airport’s technical area.
Unprecedented security arrangements had been made around the airport for the Pakistan prime minister’s arrival.
Gilani and his delegation will have lunch at the Taj hotel, where he will be staying, before going to the stadium.
He will then go to the PCA stadium, where he will be received formally by Manmohan Singh. Both leaders will then watch the match together.
The leaders accompanying Gilani on the trip are PML-Q chief Shujaat Hussain, MQM leader Farooq Sattar and ANP’s Asfandyar Wali, reported Geo TV.
Other politicians who are the part of the 45-member delegation include Interior Minister Rehman Malik, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Hina Rabbani Khar and Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar.
- Pakistan PM Gilani arrives in Chandigarh - Mar 30, 2011
- Pak PM Gilani arrives in Mohali - Mar 30, 2011
- Gilani heading 45-member delegation for India 'cricket diplomacy' visit - Mar 30, 2011
- High profile team accompanies Gilani for Mohali match - Mar 30, 2011
- Gilani praises Manmohan as "good politician" ahead of 'cricket diplomacy' meet - Mar 30, 2011
- Ready to give up presidency: Zardari - Jan 11, 2012
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia in Chandigarh for match (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Manmohan, Gilani meet over dinner (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- 'Indo-Pak' food awaits Gilani, Manmohan - Mar 29, 2011
- Pak team practices ahead of highly anticipated World Cup semi final against India - Mar 27, 2011
- Chandigarh slaps traffic curbs for Wednesday - Mar 29, 2011
- It's raining VVIPs, celebrities at Mohali - Mar 30, 2011
- Gilani to stay at Chandigarh hotel hosting both teams (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Mohali all set to welcome Pakistani cricket fans - Mar 27, 2011
- Manmohan, Gilani enjoy dinner as cricket goes on (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: arrival lounge, gilani, grey trousers, india and pakistan, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, khar, manmohan singh, member delegation, pakistan air force, pakistani prime minister, pca stadium, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, punjab cricket association, sachin pilot, taj hotel, unprecedented security, world cup cricket, world cup semifinal