Pakistan-origin man smuggled birds to cheer him upDecember 9th, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 9 (IANS) A Pakistan-origin man, who was caught at a British airport while trying to smuggle three live partridges into the country, said he required the birds to cheer him up as they helped ease his depression.
Customs officials at Manchester airport caught Faqar Zaman, 50, with the caged birds hidden inside a cardboard box and covered with plastic plates, the Daily Mail reported.
Zaman, from Bradford city of Yorkshire county, said the birds were his pets and the sounds they made helped his condition, the court heard.
The birds were noticed when a customs officer at Manchester Terminal One was searching Zaman’s bag and one of the birds popped its head out of a crate.
The partridges, which survived the trip in the cargo hold, were handed over to Manchester city council.
Animal health officers gave the birds a lethal injection to prevent them from spreading any infections to British birds in the wild.
Zaman pleaded guilty to landing three prohibited birds in Britain without a licence. He was fined 150 pounds (about $235) and must also pay 584 pounds (over $360) in court costs.
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- Man kills four cats by smashing them on walls - Nov 26, 2011
- Monkey delays Air China flight from New York - May 26, 2012
- Britain's cardboard cop cuts shoplifting by 75 percent - Aug 11, 2012
- Take your dog as you fly but no snakes please, says Frontier Airlines - May 14, 2010
- Delta Airline loses dog - May 12, 2010
- Court calls man 'coward' for killing woman, two kids - Feb 11, 2011
- Drunken ex-Premier League footballer jailed for breaking man's jaw outside casino - Mar 25, 2011
- Balotelli gives 1K pounds to a Manchester tramp - Apr 20, 2011
- Yorkshire Ripper, the serial killer, will never be released (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Yorkshire Ripper never to be released, rules London court - Jul 16, 2010
- Woman sues airline for killing her pet dog - Jan 10, 2012
- British kids ignorant about birds? - Feb 10, 2012
- UK church diocese to be axed due to Muslim influx - Oct 25, 2010
- UK court rules that Yorkshire Ripper will die in jail - Jul 16, 2010
Tags: animal health, bradford city, british birds, cardboard box, customs officer, customs officials, daily mail, depression, health officers, lethal injection, london, manchester airport, manchester city council, pakistan, partridges, pets, plastic plates, yorkshire, yorkshire county, zaman