Pakistan opposition to resist NATO supply restorationMarch 25th, 2012 - 6:22 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 25 (IANS) Pakistani opposition parties have vowed to block every move by the government to restore NATO supplies to Afghanistan.
Leader of the opposition in the National Assembly Nisar Ali Khan has said the alliance will protect the country’s interest at all costs. He was speaking at meeting of the opposition leaders here Saturday, the Online news agency reported.
Their recommendations were expected to be presented at another meeting Sunday to be chaired by Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif.
Meanwhile, Information and Broadcasting Minister Firdous Ashiq Awan has said that only parliament has the right to decide on restoration of NATO supplies.
She said the parliament’s security committee has submitted its recommendations and the government will discuss the matter with the US after the parliament takes a decision.
Islamabad had blocked NATO supplies through its territory after 28 Pakistani soldiers died in November last year in an air raid by coalition forces on two border check posts.
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- PML-N parts ways with PPP in Pakistan's Punjab - Feb 25, 2011
- Resign or be hanged: PML-N warns Zardari - Oct 29, 2011
- MPs' panel wants no anti-Pakistan words on private channels - Jan 27, 2012
- Hold joint session of parliament on Karachi attack: PML-N - May 26, 2011
- 'Mishandling of Davis case made Pakistan laughing stock' - Mar 21, 2011
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Nawaz Sharif begins fresh term as party chief - Jul 28, 2011
- Gilani heading 45-member delegation for India 'cricket diplomacy' visit - Mar 30, 2011
- PML-N goes overboard in protest against PPP in Pak parliament - Apr 21, 2011
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistan braces for anti-government protests - Apr 30, 2012
- Pakistan Taliban warns MPs against NATO supply restoration - Mar 26, 2012
- PML-N, MQM tear each other apart with no-holds barred remarks - Dec 30, 2010
- Mid-term polls an option for ending dismal PPP rule in Pak, says opposition leader - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: air raid, ali khan, ashiq, awan, check posts, coalition forces, leader of the opposition, march 25, national assembly, nato, news agency, nisar, opposition leaders, opposition parties, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistani soldiers, parliament, pml n, security committee