Pakistan opposition demands probe into Raymond Davis’ releaseApril 12th, 2011 - 4:37 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, April 12(ANI): Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, a Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) politician and Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly, has demanded the formation of a parliamentary committee or a judicial commission to probe the release of double murder-accused US national Raymond Davis from Pakistani custody.
On March 16- the same day when he was indicted for double murder- CIA contractor Davis was freed and quickly flown out of Pakistan after the heirs of the two victims told a local court that they had pardoned him in lieu of blood-money, bringing the one and a half month-long saga to an abrupt end.
In his lengthy speech that focussed mostly on Davis’ release, Nisar came down hard on the suspected elements that facilitated the escape of the US citizen from the country.
“The responsibility should be fixed as to who is involved in the release of Davis and made possible his escape from the country,” the Daily Times quoted Nisar, as saying.
The PML-N leader criticised the people pointing fingers at his party-led Punjab Government over Davis’ release, saying that on the behest of intelligence powers, these elements had been holding the provincial government responsible for setting the American free.
Nisar also alleged that secret agencies were funding some political parties to initiate a campaign against the PML-N on this issue, and demanded that the federal government bring the facts before parliament to make the matter transparent.
He declared that the PML-N was ready to present itself before any forum on the Davis issue, and added that setting the murder-accused American free had left a blot on the dignity and honour of Pakistan. (ANI)
- Pak Attorney General asked to submit reply on Davis' release, departure - Apr 15, 2011
- Davis pardoned, released in accordance with Pakistani law: White House - Mar 17, 2011
- Raymond Davis' release in accordance with Shariah laws: Pak Punjab Governor - Mar 21, 2011
- Blame game erupts between PML-N, PML-Q over Raymond Davis' acquittal - Mar 17, 2011
- Pak NA motion calls to debate state institutions' role in Davis' acquittal - Mar 19, 2011
- Pakistan, US to hold strategic dialogue in May - Apr 13, 2011
- Lahore HC seeks explanation on 'disappearance' of heirs of Davis shootout victims - Mar 21, 2011
- PML-Q demands open debate in Pak Punjab Assembly on Raymond Davis' release - Mar 22, 2011
- Mishandling of Davis issue has made Pakistan a laughing stock: Chaudhry Nisar - Mar 21, 2011
- Lahore HC gives both Pak, Punjab govts 10 days to recover heirs of Davis' victims - Apr 01, 2011
- PML-N accuses Pak Govt of playing 'double role' in murder-accused US diplomat's case - Feb 02, 2011
- Blow-by-blow account of how US pressure on Pakistan led to release of Raymond Davis - Mar 17, 2011
- Nisar says he has 'solid' proof about facilitators of Raymond Davis' exit from Pakistan - Apr 28, 2011
- Inappropriate to hold one institution responsible for Davis' acquittal: Gilani - Mar 19, 2011
- Only "authorised ministers" to speak about double murder-accused US official: Gilani - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: ali khan, behest, blood money, chaudhry, cia contractor, double murder, heirs, judicial commission, leader of the opposition, local court, national assembly, opposition demands, pakistan muslim league, pakistani custody, parliamentary committee, pml n, pointing fingers, political parties, provincial government, raymond davis