Pakistan needs to be strict with terrorists: Kayani (Lead)August 14th, 2012 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 14 (IANS) Pakistan needs stricter laws to deal with terrorism, army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said in comments published Tuesday.
Addressing a parade at the Pakistan Military Academy in Kakul town, Gen Kayani underlined that the entire world had framed new laws to punish terrorists.
Geo TV also quoted him as saying: “We will have to put the past behind us and look ahead.”
The general said no one was perfect, everyone made mistakes, some less and some more. Geo TV did not say in which context he made these comments.
Gen Kayani called for unity of the Pakistani people, saying the army could not succeed without the country’s backing.
The general was speaking at a time when ties with the US seem to be improving, specially after the US visit by ISI chief Lt. General Zaheerul Islam.
Gen Kayani said it was a difficult task for any army to fight with its own people but it resorted to it when it had no other choice.
“Our actual objective is to restore peace in the affected areas. But it is necessary that all the people of Pakistan abide by the constitution and its laws,” he added.
- Put past behind and look forward: Kayani - Aug 14, 2012
- Gilani names Zaheerul Islam as new ISI chief - Mar 10, 2012
- Pakistan mulls successor to ISI chief - Feb 16, 2012
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Top Pakistan Army officers meet - Aug 11, 2012
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- I am only answerable to parliament: Gilani - Jan 16, 2012
- Gilani dismisses Pakistani defence secretary (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- CIA, ISI chiefs to meet in August - Jul 22, 2012
- Sacked Pakistani official says he was ignorant of rules - Jan 14, 2012
- Pakistan daily wants ISI reined in - Mar 20, 2012
- Pakistan Army, ISI infected with cancer: MQM - May 28, 2011
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- No joint anti-terror operation with US: Pakistan - Aug 18, 2012
- Reshuffle in top brass of Pakistan Army - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: abide, army chief, ashfaq, chief general, constitution, entire world, geo tv, isi chief, islam, lt general, military academy, new laws, objective, pakistan military, parvez, peace, terrorism, terrorists, ties, unity