Pakistan Navy to acquire submarines, drones, spy planesJanuary 30th, 2009 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 30 (IANS) The Pakistan Navy is to acquire drones and spy planes, as also submarines as force multipliers to augment its capabilities, a top military commander has said. Speaking Thursday at a ceremony here to induct a Fokker aircraft and commission the T-56 Engine Test Bench at the Pakistan Navy Aviation Base PNS Mehran, Admiral Noman Bashir described the induction of Z-9 helicopters, airborne early warning systems (AEWs), and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) as force multipliers for the navy’s fleet of aircraft.
The T-56 engine powers the navy’s P-3C Orion maritime reconnaissance aircraft.
To enhance the navy’s “subsurface defence capabilities”, Bashir said a contract would soon be signed for the German-designed HDW Type-214 submarines.
Commander of Naval Aviation, Commodore Adnan Nazir, said the Fokker, being a versatile aircraft, would serve to augment the operational capabilities of the fleet.
The setting up of the T-56 Engine Test Bench was a step towards self-reliance as it would be used for overhauling and maintaining the P-3C aircraft, Dawn Friday quoted Nazir as saying.
- Pak Navy to acquire early warning aircraft and UAVs - Jan 30, 2009
- Pakistan gets two surveillance planes from US - Feb 22, 2012
- Pak Navy inducts two P3C Orion surveillance aircraft into fleet - Jun 02, 2010
- Pakistan Navy inducts upgraded P3-C aircraft - Jun 02, 2010
- Loss of two surveillance aircraft to impact Pakistan Navy - May 24, 2011
- US to replace aircraft destroyed in Karachi attack - Jun 17, 2011
- Pak Navy successfully test-fires surface-to-air missiles - Dec 28, 2010
- Naval facilities to be relocated: Pakistan Navy chief - May 24, 2011
- Heads must roll over Karachi attack, says Pakistani daily - May 25, 2011
- India building six submarines - Aug 10, 2011
- Pakistan Navy launches warship - Jun 16, 2011
- First Scorpene submarine delivery in 2015: Antony - Feb 23, 2011
- Three Pakistan Navy officers convicted for Karachi attack - May 22, 2012
- Pak Navy planning massive overhaul, new acquisitions to counter terror challenges - Apr 23, 2010
- Woman facilitated Karachi navy base attack, say police - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: 3c orion, bashir, defence capabilities, early warning systems, engine test, fokker aircraft, force multipliers, hdw, maritime reconnaissance aircraft, military commander, naval aviation, navy aviation, nazir, operational capabilities, pakistan navy, self reliance, spy planes, test bench, unmanned aerial vehicles, versatile aircraft