Pakistan Navy receives first Chinese F-22P frigateJuly 30th, 2009 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 30 (IANS) The first of four Chinese F-22P frigates constructed for the Pakistan Navy was formally handed over Thursday at a ceremony at the Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai.
The delivery ceremony was followed by the commissioning of the ship, during which the Pakistani flag was hoisted on the ship with a band playing the Pakistani national anthem, APP news agency reported.
The ceremony was attended by distinguished guests from the Chinese Navy, the Chinese government and senior officers of the Pakistan Navy.
Speaking at the ceremony, Pakistan Navy chief Admiral Noman Bashir said with the passage of time, the relationship between Pakistan and China has grown deeper in all spheres of defence and economic cooperation.
“Pakistan is indeed proud of its close association with China and this unique relationship does not draw any parallel elsewhere in the world,” he added.
According to Bashir, the F-22P frigate project was the manifestation of the everlasting strategic partnership between Pakistan and China.
Work on design and construction of the frigates started in 2005 after signing of an agreement to build three ships in China and one at the Karachi Shipyard. The other three ships are at different stages of construction. The last of the vessels is to be delivered by 2013.
The frigates are equipped with state-of-the-art weaponry and sensors and would also deploy the Z9EC helicopter as an integral part of the platform.
“The addition of these ships will not only strengthen the Pakistan Navy fleet with much needed potential but will also contribute in enhancing country’s shipbuilding capabilities,” APP said.
- China delivers third F-22P frigate to Pak Navy - Sep 16, 2010
- Pakistan Navy launches warship - Jun 16, 2011
- After nuclear reactor deal, Pak now eyeing joint construction of Chinese submarines - Sep 20, 2010
- Pakistani Navy to induct two Chinese-built frigates - Jun 04, 2009
- Pakistan inducts fast attack naval vessel - Apr 23, 2012
- Pakistan to expand maritime ties with China - Jul 23, 2010
- Pak Navy planning massive overhaul, new acquisitions to counter terror challenges - Apr 23, 2010
- Pakistan doesn't have hegemonistic designs: Gilani - Feb 08, 2010
- India commissions second indigenous stealth frigate - Aug 20, 2011
- India launches second home-built stealth warship (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Pak Navy chief lauds performance of China's F-22P frigate, keen to expand co-operation - Jul 23, 2010
- Pakistan gets frigate built with Chinese aid - Jun 21, 2011
- India's nuke submarine affects security balance in Arabian Sea: Pak Navy Chief - Jul 29, 2009
- Citing Indian purchases, China justifies arms sales to Pakistan - Dec 23, 2009
- Pakistan to upgrade naval fleet - Apr 23, 2010
Tags: app news, bashir, china work, chinese government, chinese navy, design and construction, different stages, economic cooperation, frigate, frigates, navy fleet, pakistan navy, pakistani national anthem, passage of time, shipbuilding, shipyard, spheres, strategic partnership, three ships, weaponry