Pakistan Navy man present to pick Mumbai attack landing site: HeadleyMay 27th, 2011 - 1:12 am ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 26 (IANS) A Pakistani Navy man was present during discussions with his Pakistani spy agency, Inter-Services Intelligence, handler Major Iqbal, on landing sites and arrival of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorists by sea for the Mumbai terror attack, David Headley told a Chicago court Thursday.
During cross examination by lawyers defending his long-time friend, Pakistan-born Tahawwur Rana, Headley also known as Daood Gilani said when visiting Pakistan, he always briefed Iqbal first at a Lahore safehouse.
Asked by Rana’s lawyer Charles Swift if: “When discussing the landing site, someone from the Pakistan Navy was present - clean shaved, military bearing, hair cut,” Headley replied in the affirmative.
Headley identified the Navy man as Abdur Rahman, but said he did not know anyone above Major Iqbal in ISI.
Major Iqbal, he said had a unique cell phone with a US number with which the ISI man contacted him when he was in India. Headley also believed that his LeT handler Sajid Mir had a separate handler in the ISI.
In 2006, when he met Major Iqbal, whom he identified as ‘Chaudhery Khan’, his ISI handler told him his LeT training was “not very good” and was “very elementary”, so he decided to give instructions to him at a two-storey safe house in a residential area of Lahore.
Headley also said he took videos of Taj Mahal Hotel and also inside Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) in Mumbai as per Major Iqbal’s planning.
Asked what was he looking for in identifying the landing site, Headley said: “Looking for something safe where we could not be detected.”
Headley said he went to the Taj to video the area several times, including once when he stayed in the Taj hotel on April 7, 2007 along with his second wife (from Morocco).
- Headley looked for a safe landing site for LeT (Third Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Violated ISI, LeT spy code to share secrets with Rana: Headley - May 27, 2011
- Headley visited n-power plant in India, reveal documents - May 26, 2011
- Headley visited Indian n-plant, wanted Kashmir assignment (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Mumbai attack: Headley not proud, US cooperating with India (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- ISI handler wanted Mumbai airport among targets (Third Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Headley's ISI handler used cell phone with US number - May 27, 2011
- Rana's lawyers question Headley's credibility (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Rana a mere pawn in Headley's hands: Defence lawyers - May 26, 2011
- Headley reveals rare details of Mumbai terror plot planning - May 24, 2011
- Headley, Rana were in direct touch with ISI handlers (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Headley identified Somnath temple, Bollywood as targets (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Headley dealt with Pakistan officials, 'pleased' with 26/11 (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- 'Headley told LeT of landing sites for Mumbai attack' - May 24, 2011
- Mumbai terror trial winds down Tuesday - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: cross examination, david headley, gilani, hair cut, inter services, iqbal, isi, lahore, lashkar e taiba, long time friend, navy man, pakistan navy, pakistani navy, rana, residential area, safe house, second wife, spy agency, taj hotel, terror attack