Pakistan Navy inducts upgraded P3-C aircraftJune 2nd, 2010 - 4:50 am ICT by IANS
Karachi, June 2 (IANS) The Pakistan Navy has inducted two upgraded US P3-C aircraft in its fleet, a media report said.
Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Noman Bashir Tuesday attended the induction ceremony at the Naval Aviation Base in Karachi, the Online news agency reported.
Bashir said this is the first batch of upgraded P3-C aircraft from the US. The remaining aircraft will be brought to the country after necessary upgradation.
He said the induction would further boost the navy’s capability to fight terrorism, drug smuggling and other illegal activities on the high seas.
Commander Pakistan Fleet Vice Admiral Tanveer Faiz said both the aircraft underwent major upgradation at Lockheed Martin facility in Greenville, US.
Deputy Chief of the Office of the Defence Representative in Pakistan (ODRP) Brig. General Nagata said these aircraft are equipped with modern avionics and will enhance the navy’s capability to conduct maritime operations.
P3-C is a four engine, highly maneuverable, all weather aircraft fitted with advanced surface and under water sensor system.
The aircraft is designed for reconnaissance, anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and anti-surface vessel (ASV) operations. It is one of the fastest turbo prop aircraft and most widely used in Long Range Maritime Patrol (LRMP) worldwide.
- Pak Navy inducts two P3C Orion surveillance aircraft into fleet - Jun 02, 2010
- Pak Navy successfully test-fires surface-to-air missiles - Dec 28, 2010
- Chinese anti-submarine choppers inducted in Pak Navy - Oct 01, 2009
- Pakistan gets two surveillance planes from US - Feb 22, 2012
- Pakistan to upgrade naval fleet - Apr 23, 2010
- Pakistan Navy launches warship - Jun 16, 2011
- Pakistan navy test-fires missiles - Dec 27, 2010
- Pak Navy planning massive overhaul, new acquisitions to counter terror challenges - Apr 23, 2010
- Naval facilities to be relocated: Pakistan Navy chief - May 24, 2011
- Pakistan Navy to acquire submarines, drones, spy planes - Jan 30, 2009
- China delivers third F-22P frigate to Pak Navy - Sep 16, 2010
- Show of might at president's naval fleet review Dec 20 - Dec 15, 2011
- Pak Navy to acquire early warning aircraft and UAVs - Jan 30, 2009
- Loss of two surveillance aircraft to impact Pakistan Navy - May 24, 2011
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: bashir, brig general, drug smuggling, induction ceremony, lockheed martin, lrmp, maritime operations, maritime patrol, nagata, naval aviation, naval staff, pakistan navy, prop aircraft, sensor system, submarine warfare, surface vessel, turbo prop, upgradation, vice admiral, water sensor