Pakistan mulls de-radicalisation programmeAugust 18th, 2011 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 18 (IANS) Pakistan plans to begin a national de-radicalisation programme to tackle fundamentalism and extremism in the country, authorities said.
This decision was taken at a meeting of the Defence Committee of the Cabinet that was presided by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, reported Dawn.
“It was decided in the committee that special attention shall be given to a de-radicalisation programme to motivate youth to engage and isolate them from militancy and terrorism and bring them back to peaceful living,” said a statement issued after the meeting held here Wednesday.
It added: “We need to clearly identify the threat posed by terrorism, including the underlying factors such as ideological, motivational, funding, weapon supply, training and organisational support for terrorist groups and those aiding and abetting the terrorists.”
Pakistan has been hit by a string of terror strikes across the country, specially after the May 2 killing of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad.
- Enhanced intelligence sharing needed: Gilani - Jul 01, 2011
- Security concerns over Pakistan exaggerated: Gilani - May 12, 2012
- Gilani discusses security with top army officer - Aug 03, 2011
- Pakistan, US ties must go beyond counter-terror: Gilani - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistan ready to talk to militants: Gilani - Jun 02, 2011
- Comprehensive strategy needed in war against terror: Gilani - Jul 08, 2011
- Unilateral acts not acceptable, Gilani on Osama killing - May 30, 2011
- No more Abbottabad-like incidents, Gilani tells US - Dec 22, 2011
- Use all means to eliminate terrorists: Pakistani panel - May 26, 2011
- Gilani for coordinated efforts to improve security - Jun 29, 2011
- Osama death: Zardari, Gilani, Pak security chiefs in emergency talks - May 02, 2011
- Gilani sets conditions for relations with US - Dec 21, 2011
- Gilani learnt about Osama raid at 2 a.m. - May 11, 2011
- US-Pakistan ties should go beyond terrorism: Gilani - Aug 24, 2011
- Pakistan PM, army chief meet president - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, authorities, dawn, defence committee, extremism, fundamentalism, gilani, islamabad, militancy, osama bin laden, pakistan, peaceful living, prime minister, qaeda leader, raza, terror strikes, terrorism, terrorist groups, terrorists, yousuf