Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto’s deathOctober 24th, 2011 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 24 (IANS) Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has announced a 10-day national mourning for Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Nusrat Bhutto, wife to one former prime minister and mother to another. While Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was hanged in 1979, her daughter Benazir was assassinated in 2007.
Nusrat Bhutto died in Dubai Sunday after protracted illness. She was 82, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
The prime minister announced a public holiday Monday and cancelled all his engagements.
The federal cabinet will also not hold its meeting Tuesday.
Nusrat Bhutto was born in Isfahan, Iran, March 23, 1929. She married Zulfikar Ali Bhutto in 1951. After the death of her husband in 1979, she remained the chairperson of the PPP from 1979 to 1983.
She was elected Member of National Assembly from Larkana in 1988 and 1993.
She had two sons Mir Murtaza Bhutto and Shahnawaz Bhutto and two daughters Benazir Bhutto and Sanam Bhutto. Of the four, only Sanam Bhutto survives.
Nusrat Bhutto will be buried in Garhi Khuda Buksh in Larkana beside the grave of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.
The PPP has announced 40 days of mourning on the death of its leader.
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
- Nusrat Bhutto was woman of dignity, courage: Daily - Oct 24, 2011
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan confers honour on Nusrat Bhutto - Oct 25, 2011
- Aseefa to pick up slain mother's flag: Zardari - Dec 28, 2011
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's 30th death anniversary observed - Apr 04, 2009
- Confidante says delay in Bhutto's murder probe could harm PPP - Dec 28, 2009
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- Poetry was way of making sense of the madness: Fatima Bhutto (Interview) - Sep 09, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Pakistani establishment had hand in father's, uncle's killing: Fatima Bhutto - Apr 04, 2010
- PPP to observe Benazir's 58th birthday Tuesday - Jun 20, 2011
- Zardari tried to bribe my father: Fatima Bhutto - Apr 04, 2010
- PPP a party of the masses, says Pakistani PM - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: benazir bhutto, chairperson, federal cabinet, former prime minister, gilani, isfahan iran, larkana, murtaza bhutto, national assembly, national mourning, nusrat, pakistan peoples party, ppp, protracted illness, public holiday, sanam, shahnawaz bhutto, two daughters, yousuf, zulfikar ali bhutto