Pakistan media plays down Hamza arrestJune 26th, 2012 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) In complete contrast to the Indian media, the Pakistani media Tuesday appeared to play down the dramatic arrest of a key mastermind of the Mumbai terror attack.
Most newspapers carried New Delhi-datelined stories by AFP on Sayyad Zabiuddin alias Abu Jindal Hamza, an Indian who was deported to India from Saudi Arabia despite carrying a Pakistani passport.
A Geo TV report quoted the Indian media as saying that the Special Cell of Delhi Police had made the arrest at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here.
Quoting police sources, the report said the man “is believed to have provided assistance to 26/11 terrorists. He is reported to be involved with the Indian Mujahideen and Lashkar-e-Taiba terror groups.
“The suspect had been on the run since 2006 when he went to Pakistan, Indian media claimed.”
The Daily Times, The Nation, The News and the Dawn newspapers carried AFP stories.
Abu Hamza, an Indian-born member of the Lashkar-e-Tayyaba, was allegedly one of the handlers who from Karachi instructed by telephone the 10 gunmen as they went on a killing spree in Mumbai in November 2008.
The Mumbai carnage left 166 people dead and led to major tensions between India and Pakistan.
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- 26/11 arrest: Pakistan says terror a common concern - Jun 26, 2012
- India seeks to nail Pakistan on 26/11 with Hamza's confession (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- 26/11 control room was in Pakistan: Chidambaram - Jul 04, 2012
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab - Jun 28, 2012
- Court declines to give Hamza custody to Mumbai police (lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan should admit Jindal's hand in 26/11: Chidambaram - Jun 29, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held - Jun 25, 2012
- Court no to Mumbai Police custody of Hamza - Jun 27, 2012
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Delhi Police has done a magnificent job: S.M. Krishna - Jun 25, 2012
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan rejects involvement of state actors in 26/11 - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Jindal got regular information about Mumbai from Headley' - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: carnage, delhi police, dramatic arrest, geo tv, gunmen, india and pakistan, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, jindal, karachi, killing spree, lashkar e taiba, mastermind, mujahideen, pakistan media, police sources, saudi arabia, terror attack, terror groups, tv report