Pakistan may allow India to interrogate Mumbai attack masterminds in PakJanuary 4th, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Jan.4 (ANI): Under severe international pressure, Pakistan may soften its stand on the issue of bringing the perpetrators of the November, 2008 attack on Mumbai to book.
According to a senior Pak official, Pakistan may allow Indian investigators to interrogate the alleged terror suspects wanted by New Delhi for involvement in the Mumbai attacks.
The official, however made it clear that that the suspects would not be extradited to the neighbouring country.
At the most Pakistan could permit the Indians to grill the people now under detention and being questioned by the Pakistani authorities and blamed by New Delhi for key role in Mumbai carnage. However, there is no likelihood that they will be handed over to India, The Nation quoted the official, as saying.
The official stated that Pakistan would allow quizzing the persons only if India provided sufficient evidence.
The main thing is sufficient evidence proving the involvement of those who are being blamed, he said.
India should provide substantial evidence about Lakhvi or Zarar or anyone elses involvement in Mumbai attacks to Pakistan and if they did so their investigators could be given access to the wanted persons for probe here on Pakistani soil, he added.
However, another official attacked India for its tough stand on the issue. He said that it has not done enough to de-escalate tension between the two nations.
Indian authorities had not resorted to de-escalation and its air, sea and land troops were still on alert and at the same positions that they had taken after the Mumbai attacks, the news paper quoted the official without mentioning the name.
Earlier, on January 3, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had reiterated Indias demand to Pak to hand over the masterminds of the Mumbai attack.
India does not want war with Pakistan but it must hand over the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks, Singh said. (ANI)
- 26/11 probe: Pakistan rejects India's request to quiz Lakhvi - Mar 13, 2011
- Evidence filed against LeT's Lakhvi in 26/11 trial - Jan 30, 2010
- Mumbai attackers linked to Pakistan soil: US - Jan 06, 2009
- Expect no grand gestures at India-Pak Home Ministers meeting - Jun 25, 2010
- Enough 26/11 evidence shared with Pakistan: India - Jul 18, 2012
- Post-Mumbai attacks, all options open: Pranab (Lead) - Jan 01, 2009
- Bring Mumbai attackers to justice: EU to Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- Ahead of Mohali, India and Pakistan agree to promote peace (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2011
- India allows Pakistani team access to 26/11 witnesses - Mar 01, 2011
- Judge absent, 26/11 case hearing adjourned - Feb 13, 2010
- Gujarat riots spurred Jundal's radicalisation: Investigators - Jul 11, 2012
- Five 26/11 accused named in US court include ISI officer - May 09, 2011
- FBI evidence 'corroborates' India's view on Mumbai attacks: Pranab (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2009
- India, Pakistan discuss 26/11, terror (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Pak finally admits to Lakhvi's role in 26/11, Saeed still 'untouched' - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: air sea, carnage, de escalation, indian authorities, indian investigators, islamabad, key role, land troops, manmohan, manmohan singh, masterminds, neighbouring country, New Delhi, news paper, pak official, pakistani authorities, perpetrators, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, substantial evidence