Pakistan looks for new domestic spy chiefSeptember 29th, 2011 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 29 (IANS) Pakistan is looking for an officer to head the Intelligence Bureau (IB), its domestic agency, after the incumbent rejected an offer of extension, a media report said.
The IB’s tasks include counter-intelligence and internal security. Its chief Javed Noor, who took charge in May 2009, retires Oct 1.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had offered an extension to Noor, but he turned it down, Dawn reported Thursday.
Informed sources said two candidates had been nominated to head the IB.
One is Javed Iqbal, the inspector general of Punjab Police, and the second is his subordinate Aftab Sultan, a source was quoted as saying.
Both the officers have rich intelligence experience.
Iqbal, when he was with the Federal Investigation Agency, led the probe into the 2008 Mumbai terror attack. It led to the arrest of key Lashkar-e-Taiba members, the report said.
Sultan has worked in the intelligence wing of police for eight years.
- Aftab Sultan is Pakistan IB chief - Oct 23, 2011
- Headley helped Lashkar prepare for 26/11 attacks, reported to ISI about its activities - Oct 19, 2010
- Mumbai terror trial begins in Chicago court (Second Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Is Headley telling the truth? - May 31, 2011
- LeT, Babbar Khalsa planned blasts in Delhi: Police - Oct 13, 2011
- Court asks NIA to present Headley May 31 (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Hyderabad student's family says he is innocent - Sep 01, 2012
- 'Jindal got regular information about Mumbai from Headley' - Jul 05, 2012
- Headley looked for a safe landing site for LeT (Third Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Court accepts 26/11 charges against Headley, 8 Pakistanis (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Pakistani panel discusses Osama raid - Oct 27, 2011
- 'Headley told LeT of landing sites for Mumbai attack' - May 24, 2011
- Mumbai attack: Headley not proud, US cooperating with India (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- India prepares 'error-free' most wanted list for Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- 26/11: NIA files charges against Headley, eight others (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: aftab, counter intelligence, dawn, federal investigation, gilani, incumbent, inspector general, intelligence bureau, intelligence wing, internal security, investigation agency, lashkar e taiba, mumbai, noor, prime minister, raza, spy chief, sultan, terror attack, yousuf