Pakistan jubilant over winning Asia CupMarch 23rd, 2012 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 23 (IANS) Pakistani cricket fans were jubilant after the country won the Asia Cup by beating Bangladesh in Dhaka Thursday night.
Thousands of young excited Pakistanis came out on the roads after Pakistan won the thrilling final that went to the last ball of the match.
Cricket fans danced to the thumping beats of traditional drums, accompanied with fireworks. They also distributed sweets to celebrate the victory, Xinhua reported.
Youth rode motorcycles and drove cars around the capital Islamabad till late at night to express their happiness over the title that came to Pakistan after 12 years.
Like other parts of the country, dozens of large TV screens were installed in Islamabad where thousands of cricket fans watched the play and applauded as their team inched towards victory.
Pakistani TV channels ran special programme and transmissions after the national team grabbed the title and showed jubilant fans dancing, shouting in happiness and having parties across the country.
On Friday morning, daily Urdu newspapers gave special coverage to the triumph. “Pakistan becomes Asian cricket tiger” said a daily, while another daily’s heading roared “Pakistan clinches Asian cricket crown”.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani congratulated the team and nation over the historic victory.
Pakistani cricket team captain Misbah-ul-Haq said the victory is a gift for the nation that is celebrating its national day “Pakistan Day” March 23.
Pakistan won the title for second time after the 2000 Asia Cup that was also held in Bangladesh.
- Pakistani cricket squad departs for Asia Cup in Bangladesh - Mar 08, 2012
- Pakistan disappointed over Bangladesh's appeal against Asia Cup result - Mar 26, 2012
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh opt to field against Pakistan - Mar 22, 2012
- Kolkatans celebrate cricket World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Holi, Diwali-like celebrations in Dhoni's hometown - Mar 31, 2011
- India erupts with joy as Sachin hits 100th ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- World Cup for India is Asia's win too: Pakistani daily - Apr 03, 2011
- Local boy Dhoni wins praise as Jharkhand celebrates - Apr 03, 2011
- Celebrations break out as India beat Pakistan - Mar 19, 2012
- Test skipper Misbah backs revival of Pak-India cricket - Apr 12, 2011
- Chandigarh euphoric over World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Zardari announces cash awards for triumphant Pak team - Jun 22, 2009
- PM hopes Indian team will keep up good work in WC final - Apr 01, 2011
- Shahid Afridi apologises for hitting fan - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: asia cup, asif ali zardari, capital islamabad, clinches, cricket crown, cricket fans, cricket team, dhaka, haq, large tv, late at night, night thousands, pakistani cricket, pakistani tv channels, pakistanis, team captain, traditional drums, tv screens, urdu newspapers, xinhua