Pakistan, India to talk Siachen on June 11, 12May 11th, 2012 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 11 (IANS) Pakistan and India will hold discussions on the Siachen glacier row June 11 and 12, less than a month after army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani sought talks with New Delhi to demilitarise the world’s highest battleground, authorities here said.
The next round of India-Pakistan defence secretaries’ talks on Siachen will be held June 11-12 in Islamabad, reported Dawn Friday.
The announcement came after Pakistan sought postponement of talks on Sir Creek that were to be held in New Delhi next week.
The Foreign Office said the new dates would be decided through diplomatic channels.
Siachen was back in the news last month when Pakistan lost nearly 140 soldiers after a massive avalanche entombed the Gayari army base April 7.
The incident prompted Kayani to say that Islamabad was open for talks with India to demilitarise Siachen.
“Peaceful coexistence between the two neighbours is very important so that everybody can concentrate on the well-being of the people,” he had said April 18 after a visit to oversee the rescue efforts.
“Both countries should sit together to resolve all the issues including Siachen,” Kayani added.
Over a fortnight later, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar said that India should take “a bold initiative” to resolve the dispute over Siachen.
Khar said Pakistan believed that all outstanding issues with India could be resolved through dialogue.
- India, Pakistan gain nothing from Siachen: Pakistan minister - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistan must not leave Siachen unilaterally: Imran Khan - Apr 23, 2012
- India must take 'bold initiative' on Siachen: Khar - May 08, 2012
- India has toughened its Siachen stand: Kayani - May 04, 2012
- Pakistan does a U-turn, says no change in Siachen policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan, India hold talks on Siachen (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan talks on Siachen end - Jun 12, 2012
- India-Pakistan talks signal hope, says daily - Jul 27, 2011
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- India, Pakistan to continue talks on Siachen row (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Siachen avalanche: Pakistan welcomes India's offer - Apr 09, 2012
- Must hold Siachen positions: Indian Army (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Kayani monitors Siachen rescue operations - Apr 08, 2012
- Gilani, Kayani meet Zardari before he flies to India - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: army base, army chief, ashfaq, battleground, bold initiative, chief general, diplomatic channels, foreign office, india pakistan, kayani, khar, massive avalanche, pakistan defence, pakistan india, parvez, peaceful coexistence, postponement, rescue efforts, siachen, sir creek