Pakistan hands over 99 prisoners to IndiaMay 24th, 2008 - 8:23 pm ICT by admin
By Muhammad Najeeb
Lahore, May 24 (IANS) Pakistan Saturday handed over 99 jailed Indian fishermen at the Wagah border here, three days after the two countries agreed to grant consular access to prisoners in each other’s jails. The released prisoners include 96 fishermen and three others. The fishermen were brought to Lahore from Karachi while three other prisoners were released from Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail.
Of the total 473 Indian prisoners in Sindh province, 96 have been freed.
“We still have 375 Indian prisoners in our custody. All are fishermen and none of them has been involved in any criminal activity,” a jail official told IANS on telephone from Karachi.
The prisoners were released Friday after the Indian high commission in Islamabad confirmed that they were Indian nationals and issued them the required travel documents.
The prisoners were handed over to Indian authorities across the Wagha border in the presence of Pakistan’s interior ministry officials and the Indian high commission staff.
Pakistani and Indian security forces frequently jail each other’s fishermen, accusing them of violating their zones in the Arabian Sea, before swapping hundreds of them in goodwill exchanges.
Authorities here estimate that more than 150 Pakistani fishermen are in Indian jails.
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan frees 311 Indian prisoners - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh walks back to India after 30 years - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan frees 55 Indian fishermen - Aug 15, 2012
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- 180 Indian prisoners freed from Karachi jail - Jan 07, 2012
- 14 Indians released from Karachi jail - Jul 28, 2011
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan frees 100 Indian fishermen - Aug 30, 2010
- Surjeet appeals for release of prisoners on both sides - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet freed but reaches Wagah in handcuffs (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan frees 100 more Indian fishermen - Sep 02, 2010
- Pakistan releases 100 jailed Indian fishermen - Aug 30, 2010
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, commission staff, goodwill, indian authorities, indian fishermen, indian high commission, indian nationals, indian prisoners, indian security, interior ministry, jails, karachi, lahore, may 24, ministry officials, muhammad, najeeb, travel documents, wagah border, wagha border