Pakistan Govt. accepts Taliban ceasefire in Bajaur

February 25th, 2009 - 4:32 pm ICT by ANI  


Khar (Pakistan), Feb. 25 (ANI): Reciprocating to the Taliban ceasefire in the Bajaur tribal region, Pakistani security forces have announced a four-day suspension of military operations against terrorists.
Political Agent Shafeerullah Khan announced that guns would remain silent in Bajaur for four days and troops would not take action. However, he said that troops would react if the truce was violated. Khan strongly denied any secret deal between the government and militants.
Sources told The Dawn that tribal elders had been negotiating with the government and militants to pave way for a peace agreement in Bajaur. They would continue with negotiations to declare a permanent ceasefire.
No details regarding the deal between the government and Taliban have been disclosed so far.
The truce announcement sparked a celebration in the region where violence has killed at least 2,000 people and displaced 20,000 residents.
On Monday night, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistans Bajaur chief Maulana Faqir Muhammad announced unilateral ceasefire on his FM radio.
Faqir said Taliban considered soldiers like brothers and it wanted to stand united against the enemy, adding that that the movement of security forces will not be blocked and they could go wherever they wanted.
He said that they were withdrawing their earlier statement regarding destruction of schools and government buildings. He also announced amnesty for tribal elders who raised lashkars against the Taliban.
After the announcement, a large number of militants had vacated positions in Inayet Kali, Baichena, Badisamore and other pockets and moved to unidentified locations. The Taliban leaders including Maulvi Faqir had gone underground, sources claimed. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in South Asia |