Pakistan government urged to shift Shakil Afridi from PeshawarJune 2nd, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 2 (IANS) The chief minister of Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has urged the federal government to shift jailed Pakistani doctor Shakil Afridi to any other place in the country citing threat to the physician’s life from terrorists, Online news agency reported.
Afridi has been sentenced to 33 years in jail after helping the US spy agency CIA find former Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. He was charged with treason for helping the US.
Talking to a private TV channel Chief Minister Amir Hyder Khan said that Afridi’s life is in danger as terrorist are imprisoned in the central jail of Peshawar.
“It would be a wise decision to shift Dr Afridi from Peshawar,” he said, adding that security arrangements around the jail have been beefed up.
Afridi was found guilty under the Frontier Crimes Regulation for carrying out a fake vaccination campaign in Abbottabad to get the DNA samples of bin Laden. He was also fined Rs.320,000 (over $3,400).
US commandos stormed bin Laden’s hideout at Abbottabad near Rawalpindi May 2 last year, taking the US-Pakistan ties to a new low. The doctor was arrested 20 days later while trying to escape to Afghanistan.
- Doctor jailed for 30 years for helping US kill Osama - May 23, 2012
- Fearing death, Pakistani doctor refuses to eat prison meals - Jun 03, 2012
- ISI considers US its worst enemy, says jailed doctor - Sep 11, 2012
- Bank accounts of doctor who helped track Osama sealed - Feb 25, 2012
- Pakistani military intelligence chief appears before Osama panel - Oct 12, 2011
- 'Doctor who helped in Osama mission needs US help' - Jun 19, 2012
- CIA held fake vaccination drive to get Osama family DNA - Jul 12, 2011
- Pakistani who helped CIA track down Osama faces treason charges - Oct 07, 2011
- US senator introduces bill to stop Pakistan aid (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- CIA plotted to nab Osama bin Laden with fake vaccination drive - Jul 12, 2011
- US Senate panel cuts Pakistan aid over doctor's jailing - May 25, 2012
- Osama killing: US awaiting clarification on Pakistani doctor - Jun 05, 2012
- Osama's wife says family was living at Abbottabad compound since 2005: Source - May 04, 2011
- Osama death: Zardari, Gilani, Pak security chiefs in emergency talks - May 02, 2011
- CIA "exploited intelligence leads" given by ISI to reach bin Laden: Pak FO - May 04, 2011
Tags: 33 years, abbottabad, afridi, amir, central jail, chief minister, commandos, dna samples, hideout, hyder khan, islamabad, khyber, pakistan government, peshawar, private tv channel, rawalpindi, security arrangements, spy agency, vaccination campaign, wise decision