Pakistan gets 14 parties, not Musharraf’s (Lead)June 16th, 2011 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 16 (IANS) Pakistan’s Election Commission has allowed 14 new political parties to contest the 2013 general elections. But a request from former president Pervez Musharraf’s new party was not taken up.
Musharraf’s application to register the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) - pending for more than a year - was not on the agenda of the Commission’s meeting Wednesday, Dawn News reported Thursday.
This was primarily due to two reasons.
One, a man claimed that he had registered a political party with the same name in 2006.
The second objection came from the Pakistan Freedom Party, which said the symbol of “eagle” sought by APML had been allotted to it.
The APML was formed in Pakistan last year. Musharraf, who ruled Pakistan from 1999 to 2008 and is now in self-imposed exile in Britain, has pledged to return to the country ahead of the 2013 parliamentary elections.
The 14 parties registered Wednesday are: Pakistan Ittehad Yaqeen Tanzeem Party, Justice and Development Party Pakistan, Young Blood Christian League, Pakistan Muslim League-H (Haqiqi), Pakistan Dharti Maan Party, Awami Justice Party, Pakistan Patriotic Movement, Sindh Taraqi Passand Party, Allah-o-Akbar Tahreek, People’s Democratic League, Awami Jamhuri Ittehad Pakistan, Tahreek Bahali-i-Suba Bahawalpur Pakistan, Pakistan Basic Rights Movement and Tahreek-i-Suba Hazara.
A multi-party democracy, Pakistan has more than 80 major and minor political parties, of which a dozen are today represented in parliament.
The main parties include the now ruling Pakistan Peoples Party, two factions of the Pakistan Muslim League, Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and Awami National Party.
- Pakistan allows 14 new parties to contest polls - Jun 16, 2011
- Poll panel ignores Musharraf's application for party - Jun 16, 2011
- Musharraf says his party is prepared for early Pak polls - Jan 04, 2011
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Musharraf blames Nawaz Sharif for bloodbath in Karachi - Jan 17, 2011
- What's in a name? Ask Musharraf and Pir Pagara! - Sep 21, 2010
- Musharraf vows to return to Pak before next polls - Jan 11, 2011
- Musharraf fails to get expected response after APML formation - Oct 02, 2010
- Musharraf will not be invited to join PML alliance: PML Secretary General - Oct 04, 2010
- Musharraf selects seat in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to contest poll - Nov 22, 2010
- Nobody can stop Musharraf's return to Pakistan: APML - Apr 19, 2011
- Foreign secret agents freely roaming in Pakistan: Musharraf - Mar 25, 2011
- Musharraf's party's 'people-friendly' manifesto to bring positive change in Pak: Tahir - Apr 30, 2011
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
- Don't come back, ISI chief told Musharraf in Dubai - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: allah o akbar, awami, dawn news, democratic league, dharti, freedom party, general elections, ittehad, jamhuri, justice party, minor political parties, mqm, muttahida qaumi movement, pakistan muslim league, pakistan peoples party, parliamentary elections, party democracy, patriotic movement, president pervez musharraf, tanzeem