Pakistan expresses concern over incursions NATO, Afghan militantsJune 18th, 2011 - 9:11 am ICT by BNO News
ISLAMABAD (BNO NEWS) — Pakistan on Friday said it has lodged a protest with the United States and Afghanistan over border incursions by NATO aircraft and Afghan militants, the Foreign Ministry said.
The ministry said in two statements that it expressed “serious concern” to the US embassy in Islamabad over an alleged air incursion by NATO aircraft in the Mohmand tribal area. According to the ministry, NATO aircraft attacked a Pakistani military post in South Mohmand, located 2.5 kilometers (1.55 miles) away from the border with Afghanistan.
The press statement also said that a joint inquiry has been requested and that the matter has been taken up with the United States and NATO on both military and diplomatic tracks. It gave no other details.
The ministry also summoned a top Afghan official to lodge a protest about an insurgent incursion into the Bajur tribal region on early Thursday morning. It said that up to 150 Afghan militants attacked a village in Pakistan’s northwest tribal area, killing five people and injuring at least eight others.
The attackers opened fire at local residents using rockets, mortars and machine guns. The tribal people returned fire and the two sides engaged in a gunfight which lasted about 30 minutes. “The Government of Afghanistan was asked to prevent such cross-border incidents from occurring in the future,” the Pakistani statement said.
U.S. and Afghan officials did not immediately comment.
- We thought attackers were Taliban: Pakistani soldier - Nov 28, 2011
- NATO airstrike kills 25 Pakistani troops, Gilani condemns - Nov 26, 2011
- Pakistan lodges protest with Afghanistan over attacks - Aug 28, 2011
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan army chief (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- 13 Pakistani soldiers killed in Afghan attack (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Afghanistan to probe NATO airstrike on Pakistan - Nov 28, 2011
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- Airstrikes on Pakistani troops unintended: NATO chief - Nov 27, 2011
- Pakistan to ask US to vacate air base (Lead) - Nov 27, 2011
- US military to lead NATO raid probe - Nov 29, 2011
- Pakistan right to be angry over NATO airstrike, says daily - Nov 28, 2011
- US military calls for more trust with Pakistan - Dec 27, 2011
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
- Pakistan to ask US to vacate air base - Nov 27, 2011
- Pakistan denies firing rockets at Afghanistan - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: afghan militants, afghan officials, attackers, bno, border incidents, border incursions, cross border, embassy in islamabad, foreign ministry, government of afghanistan, gunfight, incursion, machine guns, military post, mortars, nato aircraft, news pakistan, thursday morning, tribal area, us embassy in islamabad