Pakistan demands drone technology from USJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 23 (IANS) Pakistani Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani Sunday said his country has asked the US to share its drone technology so as to enable Pakistan’s military to hit more militant hideouts on its own.”We have asked the US to hand over the drone technology to us, so that we can carry out these strikes ourselves”, Gilani told reporters here.
Responding to a question about criticism against US drone attacks in Pakistan, he said: “We have our reservations on these attacks, which are proving counter-productive and promoting militancy in the country”.
As the prime minister was interacting with the media here, two separate drone attacks in Datta Khel area in northwestern Pakistan killed at least seven suspected militants.
Pakistani military establishment and foreign office have expressed strong reservations against such attacks earlier as well but situation has not changed, giving an impression to critics that there is a behind-the-scene understanding about it between the Pakistan and US administrations.
The US pilotless drones have been carrying out strikes in Pakistan,’s restive tribal region near Afghanistan border, targeting Al Qaeda and Taliban hideouts since 2004. Several high-profile targets, including former Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud, have been killed in these attacks.
- US drone strike kills 4 in northwest Pakistan - Sep 01, 2012
- Pak unlikely to get hold of US drone technology - Apr 04, 2011
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- 21 killed in Pakistan drone strikes (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- US drone strikes kill 13 in Pakistan - Nov 07, 2010
- US drone attack kills 22 suspected militants in North Waziristan - Mar 17, 2011
- U.S. drone strikes kill 25 suspected militants in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban leader possibly killed in U.S. drone strike - Jan 16, 2012
- US drone strikes kill 13 militants in North Waziristan - Jan 24, 2011
- Drone strikes are counter-productive: Gilani - May 02, 2011
- US drone attacks kill 24 in Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 12, 2010
- Drone strike kills five in Pakistan - May 13, 2011
- Gilani 'condemns' US drone attacks in Pak tribal areas, but wants drone technology - Dec 30, 2010
- Drone attack kills six in Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, al qaeda, baitullah mehsud, drone, drones, foreign office, gilani, hideouts, militancy, military establishment, northwestern pakistan, pakistani prime minister, profile targets, raza, strikes, taliban, yousaf