Pakistan daily wants ISI reined inMarch 20th, 2012 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 20 (IANS) Pakistan needs to ensure that the dreaded Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) is “reined in”, said a daily Tuesday.
An editorial in the Daily Times said the intelligence agency’s controversial role in the country’s affairs received attention from diverse sources Sunday.
Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani said in Lahore that the ISI was an important national institution but should not be controversial.
On the possible closure of the political wing of the ISI, “considered the part of the agency most involved with interference in the politics of the country”, Gilani said he had not yet had time to speak to the new ISI chief Lt Gen Zaheerul Islam.
The daily said: “We would urge the prime minister to do just that at the first opportunity, since it is obvious that the powerful agency needs to be taken on board if the objective of regulating its activities is to be achieved.”
In London, former prime minister Nawaz Sharif expressed the hope that army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani would ensure that the new ISI chief refrains from meddling in the country’s affairs to ‘engineer’ the political course.
The editorial went on to say that “while the need for legislation and setting out of the rules governing the role of the intelligence agencies is undeniable, perhaps some institutional arrangements are also the need of the hour”.
“In developed democracies, the intelligence agencies are controlled through parliamentary oversight. Something similar needs to be created here to ensure the dreaded ‘deep state’ is reined in from violating its appropriate purview,” it added.
- Gilani names Zaheerul Islam as new ISI chief - Mar 10, 2012
- Bill for civilian oversight on ISI bold move: Daily - Jul 10, 2012
- Pakistani daily sizes up new ISI chief - Mar 11, 2012
- CIA, ISI chiefs to meet in August - Jul 22, 2012
- ISI has political wing, admits minister - Mar 13, 2012
- India tracking developments in Pakistan - Jan 11, 2012
- Pakistani daily castigates Gilani for flip-flop - Jan 27, 2012
- Kayani calls commanders' meet after defence secretary's sack - Jan 11, 2012
- 'What kind of Pakistan do Pakistanis want?' - Jan 13, 2012
- Gilani meets defence chiefs; Kayani talks with Zardari (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Pakistan mulls successor to ISI chief - Feb 16, 2012
- Gilani calls for Af-Pak cooperation in war on terror (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Musharraf knew about Osama hideout: Ex-ISI chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Husain Haqqani fears he will be killed - Jan 04, 2012
- Pakistan spy chief visits Qatar - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,