Pakistan court to hear Gilani contempt appealMay 1st, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 1 (IANS) A nine-member bench of the Pakistani Supreme Court will hear Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani’s appeal in the case in which he has been convicted for contempt of court.
“An additional and two ad-hoc judges” will be included in the bench, Geo TV quoted Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry as saying Tuesday.
Chaudhry added that under article 181 and 182 of the constitution additional and ad-hoc judges could be included.
Gilani was last Thursday convicted for contempt of court by the Supreme Court that gave him a 30-second symbolic sentence for refusing to write to Swiss authorities to reopen a corruption case against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The sentencing lasted for barely 30 seconds, a reprieve for the 56-year-old prime minister who could have been jailed for six months.
Gilani was indicted for contempt of court Feb 13.
He said the verdict was inappropriate. Information Minister Firdous Ashiq Awan had said a petition would be filed in the apex court for a review of the verdict.
- Verdict inappropriate, says Gilani - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani verdict to be appealed: Minister - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani hurt his own dignity: Sharif - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Pakistan parliament to elect new PM June 22 (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, gets symbolic sentence (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, ashiq, asif ali, awan, chief justice iftikhar, chief justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, contempt of court, corruption case, geo tv, iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, information minister, justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, last thursday, muhammad, pakistan court, raza, reprieve, swiss authorities, yousuf