Pakistan condemns Quran burning in USMay 3rd, 2012 - 3:36 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 3 (IANS) Pakistan has condemned the April 28 burning of copies of the Quran by US pastor Terry Jones in Florida.
“Pakistan strongly condemns the burning of the holy Quran by Pastor Terry Jones, head of the Dove world Qutreach Center in Florida recently,” Xinhua quoted the foreign ministry as saying Wednesday.
“We feel that such senseless acts would only inspire hatred and violence in the world,” a statement said.
The ministry statement said it was the collective responsibility of all governments and institutions to work closely on promoting harmony, peace and unity among people of all faiths.
Jones burned the Quran to protest the imprisonment in Iran of 32-year-old Christian pastor Youcef Nadarkhani.
Nadarkhani was arrested in 2009 and was sentenced to death in connection with his conversion. His death sentence was overturned by the Iranian Supreme Court in February.
The Pentagon has asked Jones to refrain from burning the Quran out of concern for the safety of NATO forces in Afghanistan.
- US condemns death sentence of Iran pastor - Feb 24, 2012
- Chidambaram for media restraint on Quran burning threat - Sep 09, 2010
- Iran thanks Pope for condemning Quran burning plan - Oct 08, 2010
- Britain bans entry of US pastor who threatened to burn Quran - Jan 20, 2011
- US condemns death sentence for Iran pastor - Sep 30, 2011
- Quran burning would jeopardise global peace: Nawaz Sharif - Sep 09, 2010
- Pakistan condemns Quran burning incident - Mar 25, 2011
- Pak to record protest at all international forums against Florida Quran desecration - Mar 24, 2011
- Roemer likely to meet Chidambaram over 9/11 Quran burning issue - Sep 10, 2010
- Moscow condemns attack on UN office in Afghanistan - Apr 02, 2011
- Iran says Israel behind Quran burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- Pakistan takes up Florida Quran desecration with UN - Mar 23, 2011
- Quran controversy prompts US travel alert - Sep 10, 2010
- Obama condemns Quran burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- American Flag Burning Planned By UK Based Muslim Radicals - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: all faiths, collective responsibility, death sentence, foreign ministry, governments, harmony peace, hatred, holy quran, imprisonment, iranian, ministry statement, nato, nato forces in afghanistan, pakistan, peace and unity, pentagon, senseless acts, terry jones, violence in the world, xinhua