Pakistan chief justice summons son over graft reportsJune 6th, 2012 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 6 (IANS) Pakistan Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, taking note of a whisper campaign about his son’s involvement with a property tycoon to influence cases pending in court, has summoned them Wednesday.
Dawn reported that Chaudhry took notice of the whisper campaign that Malik Riaz, a property tycoon, had got his son Arsalan Iftikhar involved in a business deal to influence cases pending before the court against him.
The chief justice ordered that the matter be placed before his bench Wednesday and issued notice to Malik Riaz and Arsalan. Attorney General Irfan Qadir has also been issued notice.
He acted on a note by Supreme Court Registrar Faqir Hussain that said allegations were being levelled in TV talk shows that Malik Riaz had engaged Arsalan with a view to influence the judicial process.
The note pointed out the allegation that Rs.300 to 400 million had been given to Arsalan. Also, expenses on foreign trips were borne by the property tycoon.
Malik Riaz face a number of cases in the Supreme Court that were filed by people who have accused him of grabbing large chunks of land and merging them into his Bahria Town project.
- Pakistan Chief Justice urged not to hear son's case - Jun 07, 2012
- Strict action ordered against Pakistani chief justice's son, realtor - Jun 15, 2012
- Not aware of chief justice's son's case: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Pakistani daily lauds chief justice for not sparing son - Jun 08, 2012
- Malik claims ignorance of Pakistan chief justice's son case - Jun 13, 2012
- Allegations against Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Allegations against CJI aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistan tycoon dares apex court chief justice - Jun 14, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan attorney general turns abusive in Supreme Court - Jun 15, 2012
- Court suspends Rehman Malik's Senate membership - Jun 04, 2012
- Pakistani apex court suspends Rehman Malik from Senate (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Lahore courts dispose of 96,634 cases in five months - Jul 03, 2011
- Not "a single piece of evidence" found against Qadir Gilani in Haj scam: FIA Chief - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: allegation, allegations, attorney general, bahria town, bench, business deal, chief justice iftikhar, chief justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, chunks, court registrar, faqir, hussain, iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, irfan, justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, muhammad, property tycoon, summons, tv talk, whisper