Pakistan celebrates Jinnah’s 133rd birth anniversaryDecember 25th, 2009 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 25 (IANS) The 133rd birth anniversary of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, was celebrated across the country Friday.
The day began with special prayers in mosques for the founder of the Pakistan. The change of guard ceremony was also held at Jinnah’s mausoleum in the southern port city of Karachi, Xinhua reported.
Cadets from the Pakistan Military Academy mounted the guard at the mausoleum.
President Asif Ali Zardari urged the country to unite and reclaim the values which Jinnah bequeathed to the nation as his heritage.
“I wish to felicitate the nation on the Quaid’s birth anniversary and urge the people to forge unity in their ranks to preserve and protect their democratic and political rights and thereby make Pakistan a shining example of prosperity and progress,” Zardari said in his message to the nation.
Separately, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said the best tribute the country could pay to Jinnah was allegiance to the principles that he had espoused in his life and the values which he had promoted throughout his career.
The Pakistani government had declared a public holiday on the occasion. National flags were hoisted atop all government buildings.
Jinnah was born Dec 25, 1876. He died Sep 11, 1948.
- Pakistan observes Jinnah's birth anniversary Saturday - Dec 25, 2010
- Pakistan observes 63rd death anniversary of Mohammad Ali Jinnah - Sep 12, 2011
- Respect ballot's power to effect change: Zardari, Gilani - Dec 25, 2011
- Pakistan celebrates Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Jinnah's 62nd death anniversary observed in Pakistan - Sep 11, 2010
- Pakistan can be developed by defeating extremism, says Musharraf - Dec 26, 2010
- Zardari donates blood - Jun 22, 2011
- Jinnah's vision made Pakistan nuclear power: AQ Khan - Dec 26, 2010
- Constitution's abrogation won't be permitted: Nawaz - Dec 25, 2011
- Government will complete 5-year term: Gilani - Dec 25, 2011
- Zardari vows to defend democracy - Jun 22, 2011
- Pakistan celebrates 115th birth anniversary of first PM - Sep 30, 2010
- Pakistan's future lies in democracy: Gilani - Aug 14, 2011
- Pak must be made 'Islamic welfare democratic State' as envisaged by Jinnah: Nizami - Feb 11, 2011
- Sheikh Abdullah still relevant in Kashmir's political discourse (Comment) - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: 133rd, allegiance, birth anniversary, dec 25, founder of pakistan, gilani, government buildings, guard ceremony, jinnah, karachi, mausoleum, military academy, mosques, muhammad ali, national flags, pakistan military, pakistani government, public holiday, xinhua, zardari