Pakistan bomb attack toll rises to 27December 6th, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 6 (DPA) The toll in a bombing in Pakistan’s north-western city of Peshawar rose to 27 Saturday as rescue workers retrieved more bodies from the rubble, health officials and residents said.An explosives-laden car detonated late Friday when people were shopping for Muslim festival of Eid ul Adha in Koocha Risaldar near city’s historic Qissa Khwani Bazaar.
Several nearby buildings caught fire following the high-intensity blast, making it difficult for the rescue workers to move the dead and injured from the narrow street.
Javed Khan, a medical officer at the city’s main Lady Reading hospital, said 23 people were confirmed dead last night while four more bodies were brought on Saturday morning.
“Most of the victims’ bodies were charred beyond recognition.”
Khan said 148 injured people were treated at the hospital, 48 of them in serious condition.
Police and residents were still searching for more bodies from the debris of a huge building brought down by fire Friday night.
“The whole area has been cordoned off. Entry of people and traffic has also been restricted,” one witness said.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. Police officials suspect Taliban militants who have carried out dozens of similar attacks in Peshawar and other parts of the country.
- Row hits heritage plan for Dilip Kumar's Pakistan house - Jul 03, 2012
- Pakistan factory blast toll rises to 11 - Feb 07, 2012
- Two dead in Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Three killed in Italy building collapse - Jun 08, 2012
- 40 dead as newspaper offices bombed in Nigeria (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Seven dead in Peshawar blast - Feb 12, 2012
- Italy quake toll rises to 15 (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Kolkata fire toll is 24, caretakers arrested (Roundup) - Mar 24, 2010
- Two more bodies found in Stephen Court, toll 26 (Lead) - Mar 26, 2010
- Denied entry, fire-hit Stephen Court residents protest - Mar 25, 2010
- Two killed in attack on Pakistan police station - Feb 24, 2012
- Mantralaya fire continues second day - Jun 22, 2012
- 238 missing and 78 dead in New Zealand earthquake - Feb 24, 2011
- 20 killed in blast outside Pakistan police station (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011