Pakistan biggest threat to Israel: Israeli FMApril 23rd, 2009 - 12:56 pm ICT by ANI
Tel Aviv, Apr.23 (ANI): Israel considers Pakistan as its biggest strategic threat rather than Iran.
Expressing concern over the increasing Taliban threat in Pakistan, Israel’s Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq were the three countries from which Israel faces an immediate threat.
“Pakistan is nuclear and unstable and Afghanistan is faced with a potential Taliban takeover, and the combination forms a contiguous area of radicalism ruled in the spirit of Osama bin Laden,” The Daily Times quoted Lieberman, as saying.
Raising doubts over the US peace initiatives for the Middle-East, Lieberman said America too is skeptical about its move.
“Believe me, America accepts all our decisions,” Lieberman added.
Hinting at an improved relationship between Israel and Russia in the near future, he said Moscow could play a more decisive role in the region.
“Russia has a special influence in the Muslim world, and I consider it a strategic partner that should play a key role in the Middle East.I have argued for some time that Israel has insufficient appreciation for the ‘Kremlin factor’. I intend to mend this gap,” Lieberman said.
Earlier, Lieberman had ruled out an Arab peace initiative terming it a ‘dangerous proposal’ which was bound to result in destruction of the country.
About the idea of a two-state solution of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, he said it lacked substance. (ANI)
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- Israel's remarks about Pak being a threat to it "unwarranted": FO - Apr 24, 2009
- UN resolution 'unacceptable', says Israel - Jun 01, 2010
- Palestine applies for UN membership - Sep 24, 2011
- Russia calls for ending Gaza blockade - Jun 21, 2010
- 'UK-America "on the same page" over war in Afghanistan' - Dec 22, 2010
- Krishna to boost ties with Middle East, Israel - Jan 07, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Palestinian official accuses Blair of bias towards Israel - Oct 02, 2011
- US sees Al-Qaeda's core in Pak as "most formidable" threat to America - Aug 06, 2010
- India's missile test is not bad news for the world (Comment) - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: avigdor lieberman, contiguous area, dangerous proposal, decisive role, doubts, foreign minister, gap, israeli fm, key role, kremlin, muslim world, osama bin laden, palestinian israeli conflict, peace initiative, peace initiatives, radicalism, strategic partner, takeover, taliban, tel aviv