Pakistan bars trucks loaded with NATO suppliesNovember 16th, 2008 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 16 (DPA) Pakistan has temporarily barred trucks carrying supplies for US and NATO troops in land-locked Afghanistan from using a key route after this week’s rebel assault on a convoy, officials said Sunday.Militants Monday looted 13 trucks carrying food supplies and two Humvee armoured vehicles on the 35-km stretch of road, popularly known as Khyber pass, and seized more than two dozen people travelling with the convoy.
“The traffic has been suspended due to security reasons and, hopefully, it will resume tomorrow (Monday),” said Akbar Khan, a government official in the Khyber tribal district bordering the Afghan province of Nangarhar.
Hundreds of lorries and tractor-trailers have been stopped along a main road in Peshawar, the capital of North West Frontier Province, until the route opens, Khan said.
More than 300 vehicles transport Kabul-bound cargo, mostly coming from the southern port city of Karachi, through the Khyber Pass each day.
Security in Khyber has deteriorated in recent months during which government troops have waged military offensives against Al Qaeda and Taliban-linked militants in the tribal region.
Frustrated by the infiltration of Taliban fighters into Afghanistan to carry out attacks on the international troops, the US forces have also stepped up their airstrikes on militant positions inside Pakistani territory.
Pakistan, a front-line US ally, has strongly protested the unilateral airstrikes, warning that the nuclear-armed Islamic republic could review its support for the US war in the region.
- Roadside bombing kills seven soldiers in Pakistan - Oct 31, 2009
- US, Pakistan ink NATO transit deal - Jul 31, 2012
- 14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak's Khyber tribal region - Mar 29, 2011
- Three Pakistani soldiers killed in bomb attack - Oct 20, 2010
- Militants destroy NATO fuel tanker in Pakistan - Mar 01, 2010
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- NATO tanker blast kills 15 in Pakistan - May 21, 2011
- Suicide bombing kills 13 in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Two NATO oil tankers destroyed in bomb explosion in Pak's Khyber region - Mar 04, 2011
- Suicide bombing kills 19 in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2010
- Seven dead as NATO convoy attacked in Islamabad (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Pakistan suspends Afghan supplies through Khyber Pass - Jan 19, 2009
- Eight die in suicide bombing in Pakistan tunnel (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- NATO oil tankers destroyed by militants in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2010
- Stranded NATO trucks destroyed in Pakistan - Aug 31, 2009