Pakistan arrests sixth suspect in Mumbai attacksApril 20th, 2009 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, April 20 (IANS) Pakistan has arrested a sixth suspect in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks and is conducting a “sincere investigation” into the carnage, the country’s interior minister says.
Speaking to reporters at the wedding ceremony here Sunday night of a ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader here, minister Rehman Malik however refused to provide details of the fresh arrest.
At the same time, he said India had not provided all the details to the queries Pakistan had posed on the dossier New Delhi had provided pointing to the involvement of elements from this country in the Nov 26-29, 2008 Mumbai attacks that claimed the lives of over 170 people, including 26 foreigners.
Underlining the need for India’s cooperation in connection with the Mumbai probe, he said: “The accused cannot be awarded punishment in the absence of concrete evidence.”
He also asked for a certified copy of the confession made by Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone gunman captured during the carnage and whose trial has begun in a heavily-guarded Mumbai court.
Pakistan has previously confirmed the arrest of five men for their alleged involvement in the Mumbai attacks.
They are Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, its communications specialist Zarar Shah, Hamad Ameen Sadiq, Hamza alias Abu Alqa and Shahid Jamil Riaz.
Last week, Riaz had “confessed” his role in the Mumbai carnage, saying he and four other arrested men had provided transportation facilities, accommodation, Internet and other facilities to the terrorists who had attacked India’s financial capital.
Tags: alias, alqa, ameen, amir, carnage, concrete evidence, five men, hamad, hamza, interior minister, lashkar e taiba, lone gunman, pakistan arrests, pakistan peoples party, rehman malik, sadiq, shahid jamil, terror attacks, transportation facilities, wedding ceremony