Pakistan again violates LoC truceMarch 22nd, 2012 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 22 (IANS) Pakistani troops resorted to “unprovoked firing” on the Line of Control (LoC) in the Mendhar sector of Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district late Wednesday night, which the Indian Army described as “yet another ceasefire violation”.
“There was unprovoked firing from the Pakistani side on Indian positions in the Mendhar sector (240 km northwest of Jammu) late last night. We also retaliated and firing went on for over an hour,” an army officer said.
There was no loss of life on the Indian side.
“It was covering fire to push in militants. It amounts to yet another instance of ceasefire violation,” the officer said. India and Pakistan had agreed to a truce on the LoC in November 2003.
The army was conducting searches to find out if any militants had managed to sneak in, the officer said.
There have been more than 250 ceasefire violations by Pakistan since 2006 in which about a dozen security personnel were killed on the Indian side and 59 were injured.
“The guns were silent on the LoC from 2003 to 2006 except for an aberration here and there,” the officer said, adding that the majority of the violations were in Poonch district of Jammu region, besides Kupwara and Baramulla in the Kashmir Valley.
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Aug 26, 2011
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire on Indian posts in Kashmir - Feb 17, 2011
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- 450 terrorists waiting to enter India, says army - Oct 25, 2010
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire along LoC (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Pakistan violates ceasefire - May 23, 2010
- Army protests as soldier dies in Pakistani firing - Oct 25, 2010
- Indian Army foils infiltration bid in Kashmir - Aug 23, 2011
- Pakistan Army, Rangers fire on Indian posts on LoC, border (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Indian Army lodges protest over LoC firing (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: aberration, army officer, ceasefire violations, covering fire, guns, india and pakistan, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, loc, pakistani troops, poonch, security personnel, truce, wednesday night